What makes Us, Us?

HexHammer

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:41 pm
@Etude,
Besides, statistic isn't really regarded as science, are there double blind tests in your statistic class? ..hardly? ..if any?

Now, where else do you have your beloved "random numbers" in science?
north

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:06 pm

What makes Us, Us?

Earth

a place for life to survive , breed and evolve
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:11 pm
what is it that we don't understand about Us ?

we are about the Universe , a place to grow , become and survive

if we don't understand that we must survive to even contemplate

then we are in fact in serious trouble towards our attitude of our very survival

north
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 11:21 pm

what have we Humans become ....

a being of no self worth , a being forgetting of the struggle of our anciesters

it is the struggle through all the 1,000,000 yrs and more to get where we are now that makes Us , Us
0 Replies

Etude

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 01:09 pm
@HexHammer,
sorry for the late reply... semester tests. it's mathematical science -> mathematical statistics -> statistics.
the definition of science, in particular, is: " Knowledge acquired by study; acquaintance with or mastery of any department of learning. Also pl. (a person's) various kinds of knowledge." oxford dictionary. hence, psychology is a science. economics, mathematics are sciences. statistics, philosophy, chemistry are sciences? need i continue?
you have such a narrow view in this... and random numbers/quantities/qualities, in general, stochastic variables, appear everywhere. you think people have bad marks because they want to? people want to get involved in car accidents? people want to get infected by some disease? no, it's just that they're part of a statistic.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 02:16 pm
@Etude,
Hi Etude, I can be wrong but I think that Hex Hammer may have me on ignore!

If you can give Hex the math about the die with a simple explanation or illustration of statistics he may come around. I wonder if the monty hall problem could help? I do not know if this will help but good luck

http://www.morris.umn.edu/~sungurea/statlets/free/probabilitystatletsdie.html

http://www.scienceshareware.com/statistics.htm

I have tried to work with him and even somewhat agreed with him when I thought that he had things very wrong but he has seemed to given up on me. I mean him no harm but he seems to be a absolutist [maybe ocpd] in his thinking.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 02:29 pm
@extra medium,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5QObhuLxso
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:06 pm
@Etude,
Etude wrote:

sorry for the late reply... semester tests. it's mathematical science -> mathematical statistics -> statistics.
the definition of science, in particular, is: " Knowledge acquired by study; acquaintance with or mastery of any department of learning. Also pl. (a person's) various kinds of knowledge." oxford dictionary. hence, psychology is a science. economics, mathematics are sciences. statistics, philosophy, chemistry are sciences? need i continue?
you have such a narrow view in this... and random numbers/quantities/qualities, in general, stochastic variables, appear everywhere. you think people have bad marks because they want to? people want to get involved in car accidents? people want to get infected by some disease? no, it's just that they're part of a statistic.
Your educatioin comes first ^^

Ofcause I have a narrow view on this, Steven Hawkins an astrophysics are not particular scientific in his ramblings, sure he made some bold statements in the start of his career, but shortly after that I consider everything else unscientific, so just because you do indeed take on an area considerd scientific, does not equal that you actually produce scientific things.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 05:12 pm
@HexHammer,
Please do not give up on Hex because he loves knowledge also, he is just like the rest of us and gets it wrong at times.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 01:26 pm
@HexHammer,
Blah ..just re-read my post and find it a bit subjective, please allow me to give a better example.

In Texas some years ago, about 100 death row prisoners was pardoned by the govenor thus released, because of the system had utterly failed. The crime lab had relyed on a external private lab which over many years had made massive fraud with the results, only to get all the contracts, when all other private labs would not produce posetive results for the cops.

This is an example of a science genere with unscientific handling of the process, only for interest of money and selfish gain. It is the process alone that makes something scientific, not because you are in an area of science.
Render

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 05:50 pm
@extra medium,
Physical identity always changes through time. It doesn't matter if atoms are replaced or not.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 06:07 pm
@reasoning logic,
It seems that I was the one that was wrong about Hex as he seems to know more than I had thought he did!
I was misreading some of what he was saying!
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 09:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...I suppose those (proteins, hormones ..etc) need atoms don´t they ?

true

but a molecule behaves different from just an atom
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2010 10:58 pm
@north,
Whatever molecules do, they do it on account of what "atoms" let them do, or make them do...
north

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 08:36 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Whatever molecules do, they do it on account of what "atoms" let them do, or make them do...

disagree

once you get to a molecule of atoms it is the whole which dictates things
Etude

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 03:10 pm
@HexHammer,
hmm... in the 2nd example you gave, the fault was that the science lacked discipline. ofcourse if science lacked discipline, everything would run amok. even in your steven hawkens example, if his research was devoid of discipline, no one would give a rat's ass about him. science is still science and is dependent on many factors that will influence the way we accept the information it holds.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 08:32 pm
@Etude,
Etude wrote:

hmm... in the 2nd example you gave, the fault was that the science lacked discipline. ofcourse if science lacked discipline, everything would run amok. even in your steven hawkens example, if his research was devoid of discipline, no one would give a rat's ass about him. science is still science and is dependent on many factors that will influence the way we accept the information it holds.
It seems that you delude youself with pretty rethorics.
Etude

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:24 pm
@HexHammer,
haha no, well maybe a bit. everyone's deluding themselves every now and then when they talk to themselves. i just see everything in black and white. no emotions involved. do you get what i'm trying to tell you? about everything so far?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:35 pm
@north,
The boundaries are not just up but also down...molecules won´t behave in any way contrary to the law´s of Physics by which atoms are bound to behave North...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 07:37 pm
@Etude,
Etude wrote:

haha no, well maybe a bit. everyone's deluding themselves every now and then when they talk to themselves. i just see everything in black and white. no emotions involved. do you get what i'm trying to tell you? about everything so far?
Yes, I get what you are trying to tell me, and I don't agree at all.