West Hollywood May Ban Declawing of Cats

roger

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:13 pm
Urs, you have got to be kidding. I keep my three cats trimmed, but out of consideration for interspecies tensions, usually let it go after clipping the front ones.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:42 pm
I actually watched it. Otherwise, I would not have believed it! He just loves the nail clipper!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:56 pm
hmmm, i'm no good at clipping my dogs' nails (i pay someone to do it), but i'm good at clipping cat nails. Wrap 'em up in a towel, pull out one paw and have at it. I've done it for quite a few strays I've brought in over the years. I'm wildly allergic so i can't keep 'em. I bring 'em in, clean 'em up, take 'em to the vet and find a home for them.

No No No to declawing. Yes Yes Yes to spaying and neutering.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:58 pm
I only do my cat's front nails and even that is sporadically.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 03:27 pm
I trim Paddy's back claws when the drops of blood start getting bigger than quarter-size.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 04:06 pm
Rae, I think you and Paddy need to have a little chat. Barney knew how to shield his claws from the first day he was captured. He, Spooky, and Nermal skirmish around constantly without drawing blood. He knows how to shield them; it's up to you to convince him that he wants to.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:28 pm
Mikey is a biter. I do believe that declawing is unnecessary and unnnatural for the cat. However, if Mikey were a scratcher, I might feel different about the matter.

When I adopted one of my cats, I had to sign an agreement that I would not have her declawed. No problem. The agreement also stated that my windows have screens. Also no problem.

My first cat, Miranda, destroyed a couch and some chairs. Still, I did not view declawing as an option. I replaced the furniture with pieces that were covered in less interesting fabrics. She never bothered scratching again.

Should declawing be legislated? Probably not.
0 Replies