learning methods

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:48 am
Hi,
I am currently learning for the exams. Although I am finishing 2nd year of studies I still haven't found some good method to learn. I study electrical engineering. To pass an exam I have to know to solve practical problems and I also have to know the theory. Now I am preparing for three exams, so I have to manage the learning time really useful.
Could anyone describe his way of learning?
Regards,
Niko
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 759 • Replies: 3
No top replies

squinney

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:59 am
Hi, niko.

It really depends on you. There are several ways that people learn. Some remember information just from hearing it. Some have to write it down. Some need to see it, and some have to have hands on (feel) experience with the information in order to understand and learn it.

How do YOU learn? Think about information you remember and how your received it. Did you hear it? See it written on the black board? How do you, in trying to remember something, go about remembering? Do you try to visualize what the teacher wrote on the board? do you try to hear the teacher saying it? Do you try to mentally focus on what you wrote in your notes?

Figure out your learning style and then find ways to expand on that. If you learn / remember best after writing down notes, get some index cards. If you learn from hearing, you might try taping your lectures so you can hear them over and over again.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

Patada Veloz

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 10:31 am
I suppose that you're already studying for your exams, but here is my method.

When I got cramped with lots and lots of exams I rank them from easy to though.
After the comparision I divide accordingly the time of study.
The method is the usual one, I take the book or books, read them, make the excercises and what's most important for me, I make a chart flow of how things connect. Personaly I don't like flash cards, I prefer to make tiny papers with the key items of every theorical concept. For the practical stuff I can't offer you much help..Good luck in your exams!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 02:53 pm
hi niko,

I also am an electrical engineering student, and i will also be starting my junior year soon. it's one of the most difficult fields, isn't it?

the best way I have found to study is to take the example problems that they give you, and keep changing the numbers and doing them over and over again

when you get the exam, you will often need to decide which method to use to solve it...and the only way to make this decision correctly and quickly is to have a lot of practice with each method

so just keep repeating the problems until they all become really easy for you

and if you have ANY places where you are not sure, make sure to get the teacher to explain them to you, memorizing methods doesn't work well if you don't understand why the method works.

good luck to you, and to me, next year! i have 18 credits of nearly all EE classes coming up!
0 Replies