Hardest language to learn

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 07:51 am
Some A2K members have ever sent me private messages for help in understanding Chinese. The impression that I get is that Chinese language is very difficult for them to learn. No Chinese professors in China have even spoken perfect English... But, some renowned Chinese professors stand up for their reputation by pointing out: my English scores 8, while my Chinese scores 10 ( a scale of 0-10, with 10 being the best, 0 worst); yet best sinologists produced by English world score 10 in English, while they only score 5 in Chinese.

Yesterday I found the following quotation:
Learning the Chinese language requires bodies of iron, lungs of brass, heads of oak, hands of spring steel, eyes of eagles, hearts of apostles, memories of angels, and lives of Methuselah.
-William Milne

It says very well. Chinese language is one of the hardest languages to learn.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,643 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 08:13 am
@oristarA,
Try learning 'Welsh'.
Everyone in Wales speaks fluent english - Nationalists (Lost in tradition - Wads) demand everything - roadsigns, placenames, shops, premises, foodstuffs, etc printed in both languages.
Born n bred here, can't speak a word of it - What a waste of space...?
It's coz I'm nuts - everyone else is sane.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 09:02 am
It is said to practically impossible for a non-native speaker to be completely fluent in Basque.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:42 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Nor wear one with ease.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:33 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Nor wear one with ease.

It's the shoes that are the hardest bit, darling. I have to send away for them.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 03:39 am
@oristarA,
I don't think that any language is hard to learn if you have a right source for learning it. You just need to decide it and dedicated to learning it.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 03:46 am
@selectmytutor,
So you hope to learn English some day?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2016 05:05 am
@selectmytutor,
selectmytutor wrote:

I don't think that any language is hard to learn if you have a right source for learning it. You just need to decide it and dedicated to learning it.

Theoretically I agree. Yet in reality, there are much much fewer Chinese language learners who can ask questions in Mandarin text than the number of English language learners who have the ability to ask questions in English itself.
0 Replies

Dake69

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 09:54 pm
@oristarA,
i would help you learning Chinese,if you like
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:00 pm
Some people ar not even very good in expressing themselves in their own language.
Anastasialous

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2016 12:29 pm
@saab,
agree
0 Replies

lilizhang

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:16 am
@oristarA,
if you like, i can help you.i,am a chinese girl in china.what is your id.i can add you
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 11:24 am
@oristarA,
I remember a time many decades ago growing up in Sacramento, living next to a Chinese language school, we used to hear them practice their language. Back then, it sounded more like singing, but now it's more moderated. At least that's been my personal experience.
We now have many Chinese in our family, but they don't speak Chinese. I think with the added generations, even us Japanese hear less of our language. Our children don't speak any Japanese.
When watching a Japanese tv program, I can understand what's going on, but I can't speak it fluently. I can still read and write some, and even understand some Chinese writing, because the meaning is the same in Japanese like mountain, water, country, entrance, exit, etc. etc. It helped when my wife and I visited Japan many decades ago just to know a little of the language.

0 Replies

Amel Mrissa

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 08:24 pm
@oristarA,
Don't forget about Arabic.
lately I have been trying to learn Chinese. The tonalities are kind of funny and not that hard. Grammar is also simple -for now
But the writing system ...ugh..
0 Replies