Hair color

Ginny11

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:11 pm
I've had my brown hair professionally colored for 20 years. It's a semi-permanent caramel color with blond highlights. How do I go naturally silver gray? (My root color) Can I wash out the color? What about the blond highlights? Do I just have to wait a year for all the gray to grow out? My stylist just wants to continue with the caramel color and is not helpful. Not sure how to go natural.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 483 • Replies: 1
No top replies

chai2

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:38 pm
She's right. It's going to take a solid year to get your hair grown out, and that's with a short hair style.

I don't get why she want's to continue if your goal is to grow it out.

I had for years colored my hair with a permanent color, dark auburn. At first when I decided to grow it out, I applied semi permanent near the roots maybe once.

Then I decided that was too much hassle. I wanted it done with.

So, since my hair was completely silver/gray (don't know about yours) My hairdresser did the following. It worked well, even though red is notoriously had to get out.

She completely striped hair, had to do it twice. I know, scary scary, but my hair was in good shape, and didn't suffer. After the first time, I looked like a creamsicle.
Then, she colored my entire head the lightest ash blonde. Basically almost white.

It only looked a little bit strange the first week. Then as my natural hair started growing out, and the color she dyed it, you know, "naturalized" it actually looked really cool.

I had a lot of compliments, even some from strangers, because my silver hair as giving natural highlights.
Then I kept getting it cut regularly to keep the short style and it was all good.

Since it's completely grown out, I love my look.

If I had to do it again, I'd do it exactly the same way.

0 Replies