Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire Dead

snood

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 06:21 pm
The music of Earth Wind and Fire is indelible in my heart and soul. There's no way to measure the impact that group had on music, and in my opinion, the world. Maurice White was the founder of the group. He was 74 years old. When they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000 he revealed he had Parkinson's. This is a loss to all who remain in this world, but his music will live forever.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/earth-wind-fire-founder-maurice-223647351.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,539 • Replies: 23
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 06:26 pm
@snood,
I slightly remember them, liked them, but didn't know a lot about them. I'm out of sound for youtube, maybe I can fix that, but in the meantime I can't hear the vids.

Anyway, rest in peace, Maurice.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:03 pm
@snood,
Earth Wind & Fire is arguably the greatest R&B band of Alltime. Maurice White will be missed, but his music lives on.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:56 pm
@Real Music,
I suppose you are not kidding..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 07:57 pm
@Real Music,
Let him be.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I suppose you are not kidding..

Kidding about what?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:46 pm
@snood,
about their being the best band yada yada.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:53 pm
@snood,
I had to go back and listen to some of the Earth Wind and Fire music.

I'd forgotten how fun some of those 70's outfits and choreos were.

Loved that super-smooth dance groove and his soulful voice.

Some great memories.

smooth as silk

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:56 pm
@ossobuco,
They were a tremendously talented and influential group of musicians.

Some of their riffs can't be beat.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:56 pm
@ossobuco,
If you think that saying Earth Wind and Fire may have been the greatest R&B band ever is a joke, all due respect but you obviously don't know much about the subject. Earth Wind and Fire's horn section ALONE has been compared to the best horn sections in rock forever. I would go so far as saying they may have been one of the greatest bands of ANY genre.
Real Music

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 09:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Never claim them of being the best band. Because there are different genres of music that would invoke different opinions, I specified that Earth Wind & Fire is arguably the greatest (R&B) band of alltime. The keyword being (R&B)

Remember Serpentine Fire, Get Away, Reasons, Devotions, Keep Your Head to The Sky, September, Fantasy, Loves Holiday, After The Is Gone, That's The Way of The World, Got to get You Into My Life, You, and Let Me Talk. Those are some songs off the top of my head..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:02 pm
@snood,
skip the first couple of minutes of crowd hoodoo and then boom amazing music

music/lyrics/instrumentation/voices/musicality and musicianship

they had it all at their peak
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:03 pm
@snood,
gawd

the horn section

the best of the genre for sure
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:09 pm
ok one more just because sometimes it's hard to grasp how they did all of that

a bit of good hardcore choreo (hard to do this well with a group this size)

tight tight music

an audience really got their money's worth from them

(were any of the musicians classically trained? seems likely but I don't know)
Real Music

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:11 pm
@snood,
You are absolutely correct about their horn section being unmatched by any group of any genre. Their percussion sounds and vocal arrangements were also nothing short of amazing. Don't forget about their stage presence. The special affects, the light show, the illusions, all trend setting live shows. The fashions and clothing were innovating to the say least. Their actual lyrics to so many of their songs had depth and inspiring meanings.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:15 pm
I've got 70's R&B as one of my stations on Pandora. Earth Wind and Fire come up a lot. Their music takes me back to my preteen years and memories of my sister through whom I got into R&B and Funk at that early age.

The music is still fresh, especially considering the rap and hip-hop acts that heavily crib hooks from these songs. I was kind of taken aback that Maurice White was in his 70's. Time marches on.

LACRIMOSA DIES ILLA...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:21 pm
@snood,
It's true I don't. I wasn't paying attention then. When I did hear stuff, I didn't think it wonderful.

If that guy is so good rock forever, I'm fine with it.
Real Music

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:23 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't know whether or not if any of the musicians were classically trained. I do recall watching an Earth Wind & Fire documentary a few years ago. I remember hearing that Maurice White started out as a drummer for a jazz trio group. I also remember hearing that some of the musicians in the group started out as jazz musicians. I think some also may have had some gospel influences. In the interview they also mentioned that there was a heavy influence from African music. They infused so many different influences. I guess that's why their sound was so innovative and unique.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:28 pm
@Real Music,
I knew about his jazz background. That would probably factor into why the arrangements sounded the way they did (within the different genres they performed in there is a consistency to the quality of the arrangements).

I didn't realize til I did some reading tonight that Mr. White was responsible for the kalimba being used on all of their recordings. I knew that it was there (it's a sound I really like) - but didn't know his role in bringing it in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:31 pm
@ossobuco,
It's more than rock. They were / are splendid in all the genres they perform in. Several of the musicians had/have very strong jazz backgrounds. They are damn fine musicians who also wrote good music - and also put on fabulous shows.