Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire Dead

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2016 10:43 pm
@ehBeth,
listening. I missed batches of years.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 06:58 pm
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2016/02/05/465703176/maurice-white-the-audacity-of-uplift

terrific piece

read the whole thing eh

Quote:
EWF is arguably the most influential funk band in recorded music history, alongside Sly and the Family Stone and Parliament-Funkadelic.

On slickly-produced tunes like 1974's Sly-influenced "Shining Star," EWF strove for an effervescent rhythm and blues that was a clever combination of Vietnam War-era counter-optimism, Black Arts movement-influenced Afrocentricity and Holiness Church messianism.

Maurice White garnered an impressive reputation for co-writing sweetly melodious hooks and for his tastefully manicured arrangements, and EWF took things up a notch a year later by augmenting their already-packed line-up with the resplendent Phenix Horns.

Maurice White's understated tenor perfectly complemented Philip Bailey's ozone-layer-falsetto, and the band's choral backgrounds are among the most accomplished in soul music.
Real Music

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 01:31 am
@ehBeth,
I had the joy and pleasure of seeing Earth Wind & Fire in concert twice sometime in the mid 1990s. At that time Maurice White was no longer performing with the group due to his Parkinson health issues. They performed many of their classic songs from the 70s. Outstanding performance. I saw them once at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas and one other time but I can't remember where. Phillip Bailey, Verdine White, and the rest of the band all still performed and still are performing. I've seen close to 50 concerts over my lifetime. The EWF concert was definitely one of my favorite shows. I actually own a DVD of that particular EWF concert you have linked on your post. I am glad you posted that link so others can see an amazing show.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 08:04 pm
Steve Harvey intros Earth Wind and Fire for Lifetime Achievement Award

0 Replies