HERES ONE FOR GUS!!! : Elvis the goat is king :)

Col Man

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
Tens of thousands of people will gather to watch "Elvis" the goat crowned king in one of Ireland's most unusual festivals.

More than 100,000 people are expected to travel to Killorglin in Co Kerry over the next three-days to see the white wild goat named king of the "Puck Fair".

The wild male goat or "puck", which was captured on nearby mountains, will be hoisted onto a 40-foot high platform for the three-days.

Declan Mangan, chairman of the Puck Fair organising committee, said the unusual festival's fame has spread and people now travel long distances.

"It has become a tourist event now where as it used to be a big homecoming event 30 or 40 years ago," Mr Mangan said.

"It is an unusual event by curiosity, it is very unique and it must be the place to be, I'd imagine Mardi Gras must be like it. I suppose it must be worth several million euro to the area."

This year the chief goat catcher, Frank Joy, reeled in Elvis, a sprightly white goat, with a spot of black on his coat, after searching the nearby Glenbeigh, Rossbeigh and the Seefin mountains.

The goat will be fed a careful diet of herbs and mountain grasses and then released back to his herd at the weekend.

The festival's roots can be traced back to a charter from 1603 by King James I which granted legal status to the existing fair in Killorglin.

There are also suggestions that the festival is linked to pagan celebrations of a fruitful harvest when the male goat was a symbol of fertility.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 321 • Replies: 0
No top replies