Greek villages' war of the olive branch cancelled

Col Man

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:08 pm
Greek villages' war of the olive branch cancelled because of Olympics

ATHENS (AFP) - Two villages on the Greek island of Crete which have been duelling for years over whose olive tree is older and, therefore, qualified to supply the leaves of Olympics victors' wreaths, have finally settled their row.

The argument was laid to rest not by either village conceding that their tree was younger than their rival's, but by the Games' organisers agreeing to take leaves from both trees for the wreaths, the head of the Athens Olympics organising committee Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki told journalists Monday.

Kavoursio, which lies in southeastern Crete, will provide leaves for the winner of the women's marathon on August 22, and Kolybari, on the opposite, northwestern side, for the men's marathon a week later on the last day of the Games.

Other wreaths will be made from leaves of olive trees planted in 1987 by members of the International Olympic Committee in a park in Goudi, site of the modern pentathlon and badminton events, Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, herself a Cretan, said as she told the story of the two villages' war over a symbol of peace and victory.

Former IOC president Juan Antonio Samaranch planted one of the trees in Goudi, she said.

The park in Goudi will be officially inaugurated Tuesday, when the current head of the IOC, Jacques Rogge, and other Olympic officials will be able to sponsor trees.

Angelopoulos-Daskalaki recounted how at one point, at the height of their bitter enmity over the trees, one of the villages told the other to chop down its olive tree to count its rings and ascertain its age, assuring it would do the same.

The bait wasn't taken, and the row ground on until it was settled by the Athens Olympics offering an olive branch to each side.

Olive trees are extremely hardy and can live for hundreds of years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 16
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
Some people will argue about anything... it's as if war is built in their bodies, huh?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:06 am
Man, the territorial animal that he is, will fight over anything. How many news stories are there of persons losing their lives in fights over 2 cent bottle deposits, a disrespectful look?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
You are absolutely right, Edgar. One can even see each man's version of the truth as a territory, ransacked by differing opinions and thus needing retaliation... it's a sad circle, isn't it?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 06:19 am
I wonder how many generations it will take to outgrow this insanity?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:05 am
I am usually optimistic about everything, Edgar, but I can see nothing changing for the better. Millions of years of evolution, and most folks are still animals.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:11 am
The fact we can recognize a better way gives me hope we may realize higher aspirations one day. If we survive, I expect it will eventually happen.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:14 am
I really do hope so, Edgar; and with issues that you and I can change, hope is the only tool that we have. The problem is, Edgar; how many of us Do recognise a better way?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:32 am
well there has been progress its not all bad Exclamation
really its better than ancient times, roman times or the dark ages... Cool

i know many beautiful beings of light and love especially the tibetans... Very Happy

i think a lot of people are trapped in a negative vicious circle created by their ego and social segregation.... Confused
as long as we consider ourselves 'different' and 'seperate' from each other then we have the cause of all the woes in the world Sad

i have been working with this all my life.....
and as we all saw in the mexicans post *sigh* at times i can lose it and become aggressive and an ego-driven animal too Embarrassed Crying or Very sad

from this though i learned a great deal :

i didnt mean to post an offensive post... but when it was taken that way i felt the pain and reacted against it with the dick cheney response Wink or words to that effect... Smile
it was so quick it just came out... Shocked
thats reaction for you and wars start this way... Rolling Eyes
then i was left to pick up the pieces thinking 'oh no what have i do i have offended a fellow being and now i feel terrible'...but at the same time i still had my 'guard dog' barking at me inside - it wanted to be right... Shocked
the only way was to eat humble pie and be willing to be wrong which was no easy task for my ego... Rolling Eyes
thankfully im practised at this so love and peace won this time Very Happy

i can see why most people choose war and hate Sad
for a start its easier to go to the dark side
its easier say to rob someone than it is to work for a living Exclamation

i think love and goodnes requires concious effort
willing to put yourself in others shoes..which people who only think of themselves just cant do..
i have worked hard and endured terrible suffering at times to awaken conscience in myself Shocked
and i realise how hard it must be for everyone....

i realise the only way we can overcome this insanity both personally and as a group is to awaken conscience within ourselves
that is to feel what we do to other and ourselves
and to be commited to the greater love of all
to help each others in time of need and always to consider the others
when you live for others they live for you
when you only care for yourself then thats all you have....loneliness

as for how long it will take...
god only knows...
but there is great hope
maybe you have heard of the psychic children..the indigos?
anyway it changes when enough of us understand the greatest love and connectedness of all being and those people are in a position of power...
i pray that day will come soon Smile
carry on... love is coming... love is coming to us all Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:40 am
It seems that it is easier to hate rather than to love. People need to know how to yield, when to stop, not to start, to practise peace. To practise war, they just do things on their own terms.

People need to open up to the love more, too. (But, isn't it stupid, that people in England don't think that Platonic love exists?!)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 07:55 am
yeah it is stupid but from my studies the most powerful drive we have is the sex drive and that is the cause of this loss of platonic love

in england where up till now emotions were suppressed
it isnt surprising everyones depressed!

i think the only way to truly love is like i say to feel for others and be willing to sacrifice yourself for them
its all in the definition of love...
when you only desire pleasure there is no room for real love
hmm how can i explain this hmmmmmm
hmm its like you realise love thru seeing suffering
ok i had a down period many years ago where i lost sight of real love
in this period all i craved was pleasure and sex..i hated everyone because no one gave me what i wanted..it was all me me me..the pleasure the sex gave me something to take away the pain i felt inside... the pain of my soul...
hmm the only way out was to get out of my life situation to go somewhere else and become someone else...
which happened to be greece... and re-build myself based on love and not sex and ego...
once this was done pleasure changed for me ..although i still enjoy things like sex... im not as driven to get it
there is a much greater feeling of space and freedom inside my chest..instead of an intense feeling in my head
and i can balance energies coming from my lower regions with cosmic energies i invoke thru meditation from the higher regions...
hmm sorry if this sounds strange...
its hard for me to explain...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:04 am
In England, now, everything isn't repressed. And you get trash like Big Brother, and dirty-minded shits everywhere.

I understand what you were saying, Col. And you're better for it.

The best that one can do for oneself is to do good to others. Generosity is its own reward...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:17 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
Very Happy

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:44 am
:-D

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
I know persons, myself included, who find it impossible to rob, and would in fact do without basic necessities first. We all know that evolution's a sometime thing, happening in one group of species ahead of other groups (has to start somewhere). I have long viewed the Buddha and Jesus as harbingers of a new less warlike humankind, with their message of "Do unto others", etc. Yet, many Christians, as an instance, have their hearts set in the eye for an eye tenants of the old Testament. Jesus' message hasn't really touched them. Evolution is working, but can ot thrive to supplant the old? We just have to wait and see.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 06:31 am
It is interesting to see that many people who claim to be Christians reject Christ's teaching in some ways. Think of the number of people who would rather follow 'eye for an eye' rather than 'turn your cheek.' Because of pride, I suppose. You are very right with evolution; but, I can see nothing that suggests that we (who would rather starve than rob) would survive and all these ridiculous people die out-- even if they continue to kill themselves at this rate, you just have to compare the greedy with the peacelovers and see that it would take a long, long time.

(Incidentally, Edgar; I knew that you'd agree with me. There is never an excuse, I feel, to deprive someone of something to help yourself...)

0 Replies