Identifying unconditioned stimulus, etc.

Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:03 pm
A man feels anxious and a little sick to his stomach when he walked up to the front door of his old elementary school. School had been very hard for him and he remembers feeling “stupid” a lot of the time he was in school.

What is the unconditioned stimulus and unconditioned response?

What is the conditioned stimulus and conditioned response?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 627 • Replies: 1
Topic Closed
No top replies

Briancrc

Sat 30 Jan, 2016 09:41 pm
@weteach2inspire,
Unconditioned responses are reflexes (e.g., salivation, pupil constriction, sneeze). Salivation can be elicited by food, for example. Pupil constriction could be elicited by shining a light in the eye. We come biologically prepared to emit these reflexes (I.e., no learning required). These, or other reflexes could come under the control of a previously neutral stimulus. Pavlov noticed that metronomes (or bells) which do not generally elicit saliva, began to do so when they were repeatedly paired with the stimulus that naturally elicited the response.

Feeling stupid (i.e., saying to oneself, "I feel stupid" about school is not a reflex. It is evoked behavior that has been learned and has come under operant control of things at school. There could also be some examples of reflex behavior at school. They would just first need to be identified in the example.
0 Replies