Al Jazeera. Opinions?

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 08:57 pm
I'm very unhappy they are leaving, though I wasn't a big clicker to it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/al-jazeera-america-news-channel-to-close-up-shop/2016/01/13/aa3ab180-ba1f-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html

The times I looked at it, it seemed sensible, useful.
What's the deal, the u.s. folks are not open to discussion?
Yes, it seems that is it.
or else, just money.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,855 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Jan, 2016 09:29 pm
I have them bookmarked. Sad to see them quit. They may not have made everybody happy, but they gave a better slant on lots of stories.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
Turns out that it's the tv show, Al Jazeera America that is giving up in April, not the newspaper. I didn't know of a tv show, since I don't have a tv.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/al-jazeera-america-news-channel-to-close-up-shop/2016/01/13/aa3ab180-ba1f-11e5-99f3-184bc379b12d_story.html
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry Oss to learn Al Jazeera America might go off the air

Do you know incidentally why the Powers That Be put up with that screwy aspect ratio
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm going to (again) plug my preferred source of the last 6 - 12 months.

http://monocle.com/radio/

livestreaming radio and/or podcasts

I still go to a lot of other news sites but I really like their curation at monocle.

Quote:
Described by CBC News reporter Harry Forestell as a "meeting between Foreign Policy and Vanity Fair", the magazine aims to provide a global perspective on international affairs, business, culture, design, and fashion.

The founder started wallpaper, one of my favourite mags in days gone by.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle_(media_company)

Quote:
Along with a small group of private investors, Brûlé created and financed Monocle, a 10-times-a-year print magazine, in 2007. Brûlé believed there was a place in the market for a magazine with no regional editions, all in English, that addressed a mobile global audience interested in discovering best practice and people benchmarking success in everything from city governance to simple architecture.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:17 pm
@dalehileman,
What screwy aspect ratio?

The article pretty much explained the difficulties for the show, which make sense to me. I've not seen it, as I said, but I think we need some more diverse show ownerships and I gather it was well filled with american reporters/anchors/news.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm - for well know financial reasons - not hip to streaming radio or tv or movies, since my mac would probably roll over and turn to yellow green flakes with fiery spangles at the mere sight of it (it does take netflix discs, if they still do that). If I get going on my array of plans to get myself out of the hole, I'll become more of a media smartie (one hopes).

Right now the mac sound is mostly but not all off, and I've hopes of being able to fix it. Maybe radio streaming could actually work if I get that fixed (I'm plotzing around reading on various old mac sites).
Anyway, I'm putting your link in my news bookmark.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
What screwy aspect ratio?
In Dish it's stretched out vertically. You can restore it but I never bother 'cause it takes about 14 keystrokes. Then of course 14 more to restore the rest

Quote:
I gather it was well filled with american reporters/anchors/news.
Yes, and it's well done
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:40 pm
@dalehileman,
No tv, no Dish... so I have no idea how to deal with these kind of things with Dish. But, you could call them and inquire, they might be able to help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I listen to it on regular radio vs internet radio - it might be worth finding out if NPR or someone similar carries their programming. It's a bit more mmmmm elegant / stylish than NPR.

(streaming radio - for the most part - is free)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2016 03:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, my reg radio does still work, it's just that I found it a yawner (it's in the living room, where I rarely sit). I have spent probably decades listening to NPR and then I got sick of the voices, the same intonations, overtime, whether or not I agreed with them... it's been at least ten years since I tuned in. I used to listen to it sometimes in my car in California (six miles to the best grocery store ever). Have usually preferred music of varied sorts on the radio, less jabber.

I'll check it out.
0 Replies