Prozac "found in drinking water"

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:16 am
LONDON (Reuters) - Traces of the anti-depressant Prozac have been found in the drinking water supply, setting off alarm bells with environmentalists concerned about potentially toxic effects.

The Observer said that a report by the government's environment watchdog found Prozac was building up in river systems and groundwater used for drinking supplies.

The exact quantity of Prozac in the drinking water was unknown, but the Environment Agency's report concluded Prozac could be potentially toxic in the water table.

Experts say that Prozac finds its way into rivers and water systems from treated sewage water, and some believe the drugs could affect reproductive ability.

A spokesman for the Drinking Water Inspectorate said Prozac was likely to be found in a considerably watered down form that was unlikely to pose a health risk.

"It is extremely unlikely that there is a risk, as such drugs are excreted in very low concentrations," the spokesman said. "Advanced treatment processes installed for pesticide removal are effective in removing drug residues."

But environmentalists called for an urgent investigation into the findings.

Norman Baker, environment spokesman for the Liberal Democrats, said it looked "like a case of hidden mass medication upon the unsuspecting public".

"It is alarming that there is no monitoring of levels of Prozac and other pharmacy residues in our drinking water," he told the Observer.

The Environment Agency has held a series of meetings with the pharmaceutical industry to discuss any repercussions for human health or the ecosystem, the Observer said.

Prescription of anti-depressants has surged in Britain. In the decade up to 2001, overall prescriptions of antidepressants rose from 9 million to 24 million a year, the paper said
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 698 • Replies: 16
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
You know what I'm thinking: perhaps the Government planted the Prozac in. Prozac isn't exactly something that grows naturally. Yes, complete failure over the last eight years pales out of the way in this, 8 months from the next UK election...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
hahaha well i dont know if you have heard of the fabulous furry freak brothers comics but there were stories in them where the american government put amphetamines in the water supply in times when they wanted everyone stressed and barbituates in the water when they needed everyone mellow
this reminds me also of the massive amounts of female hormones in the water due to all the contraceptive pills women take coming out in their pee and turning all the men into 'girlie-men' (thanks arnie) and also i remember that incident where some idiot pumped loads of gallons of aluminium into a town water supply and everyones hair turned green and people who drank the water went crazy...........
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:56 am
Very Happy! That's a brilliant idea. It's probably being done now, somewhere...

Have there been any outbreaks of men turning feminine due to contraceptive pills? Weird. And people went crazy? I once heard about someone putting sustanon (a sort of liquid testosterone) into a river and people growing moustaches...

Hahahah! do you know what's weird? ; six prozac adverts have popped up since I made my comments anti-Prozac-in-the-water. Eerie or what? It's as if they're trying to win me over...

0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:01 pm
If prozac is being consumed in large enough quantities to be showing up in the environment (recycled through waste treatment) what is going on in Britain?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
oh man while we are chatting here... what does drom et reve mean? is it sleeps and dreams or something? i did french at school but i cant remember it but the name strikes me as latin for some reason...

hmm prozac i read recently that a lot of people kill themselves within a month of taking prozac
god..!!..why!! and now 54million prescriptions a year of the stuff... just goes to show you how bad it all is..
hmm ive been depressed but hell id never turn to drugs... sheeit i do that to have a good time...well i used to anyway b4 i found cosmic energy...

well your lucky your not here in hell anymore or they just may have won you over like a lot of other people i know.....
yeah man as well theres all this female stuff in the water and i dont think anyones groen breasts yet and it hasnt done much to say there were over a million violent crimes in england last year but i hear its affecting people badly...
oh god its all so messed up on every level
now im getting depressed
hmm wheres the prozac... Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
whale oil beef hooked
every time i ask her that she disappears and never replies..
hmpf...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:19 pm
britain and the british people are totally messed up Acquiunk...i know i have to live here...everyone hates each other... people have lost faith in their country...we are been ripped off at every level by our government...
its a total mess...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
Ever since my comments, I have had over 50 drug messages.

Laughing -- maybe they should try administering oestrogen to violent criminals?

I'm back!!! Hahaha, I wonder why that happens? Drom et Reve means drowning in the Dream; my family were mostly ambassadors, and because they spread out, they wanted a language so that there wasn't a learner/fluent stigma. Now there are only a few Avienists left; everyone else speaks English, so they think that there is no use Sad..

It is rather like Latin; it's very complex. There are many ways of saying just 'the;' (abstract, definitive, indefinitive, plural) and everything is modified depending on whether something's modifying it:

For instance:

Côlmana -- Colman
Dèn cosîem quê ia decitè ad Colmanum - the things that you said to Colman.
Colmanam -- to Be Colman
Colmanat -- Colmanesque
Colmanara -- place in which one can find Colman

etc, etc

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:25 pm
Col Man wrote:
britain and the british people are totally messed up Acquiunk...i know i have to live here...everyone hates each other... people have lost faith in their country...we are been ripped off at every level by our government...
its a total mess...

And we're going to war promoting democracy, we who are a country in which 60% of people can vote Lib Dem and Labour will still win because of the lack of Proportional representation...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:29 pm
ahh at last Smile
thank you thank you
well thats most intriguing
your own language..how cool
sound like they were spies Wink
but i suppose thats what ambassadors are really (no offence intended here)
avienists.. cool
that pretty awesome drom Smile

erm and where r u getting these drug messages ??
i havent had any...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
dont remind me drom it only depresses me more Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:31 pm
roll on my emigration..you dont know how lucky you are drom...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:52 pm
Pop-ups :@.. even when I'm not on A2K... it is very annoying; trying to hawk everything to me, even though I wouldn't try any dubious medecine..

O, after twenty-something years of hell in England, (seperated only by a few years' residence abroad,) I know I am lucky... well, not as lucky as you. You can really make a break for it, whereas I have to be penny-pinching.

Thanks! There are rumours that many of them were helping out the French by spying for something called 'The white hand,' but those are only rumours. Well, not only do I have that, but I decided to save another dying language too, called Bariam (with an accent under the a...) it makes far more sense than the Avienists' language.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:59 pm
pop ups..hmm you need a pop up blocking tool bar and also shows me you must have xp
i hear its epidemic on xp is the pop up thing
im still using win98 so i have much more peace but i still have my pop up blocker

yeah well i decided to sacrifice some of my freedom now to earn this money so i can be more free in the long run when im older...
penny pinchings fine dear. i do it too.
money cant buy you love Wink

ok thats far out with the dead language things you language person you Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
Is it possible to get rid of XP? Every time that I have tried, the whole damn thing just gets ruined.

I hated XP from the start. But had to live with it.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:31 pm
it possible to get rid of xp if you get win98 and totally wipe the machine down
its a bit tricky but a tekky like me could do it
but there are plenty of others who could do this
im sure if you take the computer to any pc store you could find someone to do it 4u
0 Replies