Do cats usually find their way home?UPDATE

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:54 pm
My cat pigsy escaped our house for the second time about a week ago. She's not usually allowed outside, but she was in heat and ran out while my sister was heading out the door. Last time she ran away (she was in heat) I found her two days later with a bunch of her bf's. This time I figured she'd know the area a little more, and our scent and she'd come home when she was ready. Of course though i'm worried sick about her, and have been calling her and walking about looking for her, and well, there's no sign of her yet. I'm moving in three weeks, so I really hope she turns up dead Sad or alive Very Happy .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,626 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
If she's always been a house cat, the chances are that she's quite close to home and terrified. Check along the foundations of your house/apartment, behind and around the shrubbery.

Rather than stand and holler for your escaped strumpet, move around the area calling softly. If she eats dry food, bring along a box to rattle. If she eats canned food, consider finding a long extension cord and bring the electric opener as a lure.

Good luck.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
Thanks noddy. I'm pretty sure, if she is still around, she hasn't gone far. I've been walking around my apartment, and down the roads around my house. I haven't heard her meow or and rustling in the bushes, nothing, but I will definitely try that cat food thing, that might work.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:00 pm
You cannot live away from home on love alone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:24 pm
I was once an escaped strumpet and I came home. But thats another story for a different day.

I think Noddy's right - she'll come home.

However, I recently adopted an old cat from the shelter following the deaths of the three ancient ones. Lovely cat was supurbly affectionate and wonderful until he got outside. Now he lives with the neighbors and I'm afraid to call Animal Aid for another cat.

<sigh>

I really want a cat.

If your cat shows up pregnant, I'll be happy to take a kitten!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:42 pm
I just finished eating a cat sandwich. Quite tasty, actually.

I found this stray cat walking down my driveway and figured I had enough cats of my own, so decided to have this particular one for supper.

Like I said, it was quite tasty. Near the end of the meal I bit into something and chipped my tooth.

"What the-" I exclaimed as I removed the shiny silver tag from my mouth.

Upon closer examination, I discovered the tag said "Pigsy"

Looks like her shots were up to date anyway.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:45 pm
LOL gus in some sick kind of way.......Could you at least bring me back the tag!....Why am I even Joking about this, I love pigsy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:36 pm
Good luck, stand up! May the critter return, quickly!

Does anyone remember an Abuzz thread, years ago, called The Cat Came Back ? Amazing (& true!) stories of the return of prodigal cats. Very Happy May your story be similar, stand up!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:51 pm
I'd advice anyone who lives with a house cat with ambitions to make an enormous fuss over meals--especially for those pampered felines who get canned food every day.

Moving round and round the building cooing "Din-din-din-din" and rattling the dry food box makes a cat lover just a bit conspicuous, but the cat realizes that you're talking about love and food and food and love.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:53 pm
boomerang,

You can have mine! He's fixed, has pretty markings and is very playful.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
I've heard lots of stories about cats coming home again, sometimes after several months, so don't give up hope.

Our cat Tommy (AKA The Great Big Magnificent Cat) has been missing since early January. We haven't stopped hoping. I really love that cat.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:20 am
Re: Do cats usually find their way home?
stand up for pessimism wrote:
My cat pigsy escaped our house for the second time about a week ago.

Please, please, please, call or visit your local animal pound. It is possible that Pigsy may have landed in "cat jail." A cat in that situation has a short lifespan. (In my area, the owner only has three days to claim their lost cat and pay the fine. If the owner fails to do so, the animal is put to sleep!) Also, check the other animal shelters you might have in your area and place an advertisement in the "lost & found" category in your local newspaper.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:25 am
chipped tooth
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Like I said, it was quite tasty. Near the end of the meal I bit into something and chipped my tooth.

Poor Gus. A chipped tooth will most certainly mar your stud-like handsome appearance. You should consider suing for damages. Oh, the disfigurement must be agonizing. The damages for the emotional distress alone will be astronomical.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 03:33 am
Don't do it Gus
LOL gus in some sick kind of way.......Could you at least bring me back the tag!....Why am I even Joking about this, I love pigsy.

Gus: Pessi is using flattery of your amazing wit and love for a consumed animal to entice you to relinquish possession of the evidence. Don't send back the tag!
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
Re: Do cats usually find their way home?
Debra_Law wrote:
My cat pigsy escaped our house for the second time about a week ago.

Please, please, please, call or visit your local animal pound. It is possible that Pigsy may have landed in "cat jail." A cat in that situation has a short lifespan. (In my area, the owner only has three days to claim their lost cat and pay the fine. If the owner fails to do so, the animal is put to sleep!) Also, check the other animal shelters you might have in your area and place an advertisement in the "lost & found" category in your local newspaper.

Thanks, but we don't have a kitty jail, (small town) also, pigsy is not a people person and would never allow anyone to come anywhere near her except for my bf or I. She's a very timid cat.(siamese) She was wearing her collar, and i'm just hoping she never got caught up somewhere.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:16 pm
UP-DATE

I called pigsy one last time for tonight and heard meowing, I thought it was our other cat, but I continued to call, and all of a sudden there she was, meowing at me really scared. She was limping cause her collar must have got caught on something and she managed to get it off her neck and around her one leg, and still half on her neck. She was scared to come to me, but she finally did. I took her collar off and she has big welts on her wear the collar was rubbing as she was trying to escape from where ever she was hung up. She's really glad to be home now, although she hates my bf's cat, and i'm loving her up too......

Gus- as for you, I don't know who's cat you really ate, but it wasn't mine!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Good night.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 10:27 pm
Great big relief. I didn't want to say it earlier, but sometimes, they just go away, and you never find out what happened. Well, the rest of the weekend should be pretty good.

Oh, I used to keep a coller on a house cat, till I happened to look under it. The whole contact area was either scabbed or had old scarring. The three guys I've got now are doing without collars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:09 pm
Glad piggy is home...

wiggling my little toe..
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:18 pm
sudden reappearance; hmmmmm
Gus- as for you, I don't know who's cat you really ate, but it wasn't mine!

Gus, are you buying this? As soon as Pessi realized that she would have to compensate you millions for that chipped tooth, we suddenly get an "update" proclaiming that Pigsy came home.

The circumstances are suspicious, to say the least. . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:20 pm
Oops, I see I meant Pigsy, not Piggy.

Snarfle.
0 Replies