Teenagers, imagination, isolation

Zeffff

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2015 11:59 pm
I used ouija boards a lot when I was a teenager. Enough said, right?! I lived in a rather isolated area on a small farm, rather preoccupied with the occult, for lack of better terms. I won't go into too much detail, but I'll state that, through everything fascinating and strange that had happened, I maintained a stubborn skepticism. Now, 20 years later, I'm left with memories of things that really had a profound effect on me at the time. A lot of these memories pertain to things that used to happen to another person in particular. Occasionally, after, or while using a ouija board, this person would enter into a trance-like state. No drugs were ever involved. It was just us in the candle-light, often with music in the background, sometimes incense burning, sitting on the floor of a room in the century-old wooden farmhouse. I recall being able to "sense" that she was entering this state randomly. Remember, we were teenagers and we used words like "sense", "energy", and "vibes", probably taken from the small book collection we had (pre-internet), yet in actual fact I was merely observing a shift in disposition and manner. She would be sitting down cross-legged, her head bowed to the floor, her long curly hair enshrouding her shape in the poorly lit room. I would, as I mentioned, "sense" something, and shortly thereafter, she would emerge from her somewhat sunken position and sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly lift her head up, and look at me like she never had before. She became almost unrecognizable. I mentioned one thing that really got me disconcerted; the fact that she, with the motor skills of someone not used to moving, would reach to her face and remove her glasses. She would then speak to me of things that I would never think the 14-15 year-old I knew well would have knowledge of, and in such an unrecognizable way. She wouldn't be in that state for long until she was back to herself, tiredly looking for her glasses. In all honesty, I could go on and on, but I'd like to get some discussion going. Any feedback? I'm open to everything.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,485 • Replies: 4
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 12:32 am
@Zeffff,
What are you asking? I'm not sure how to proceed.
Zeffff

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 12:43 am
@glitterbag,
I suppose I just wanted to initiate a discussion about this type of trance/medium behaviour in relation to psychology. Is there a psychological term for this phenomenon? Do people think it was her tapping into her subconscious? If so, do people think that spirituality in general could be defined as such? Is it a case of childhood trauma that has given rise to a sort of partitioning of the brain? I don't really know. I have never studied psychology and I'm interested in people's opinions. No pressure!
glitterbag

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 01:13 am
@Zeffff,
I'll get back n about 10 hours. It's 2 AM where I live and I desperately need sleep. Thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2015 01:24 pm
@Zeffff,
Apparently Zeff there's no word for the involuntary trance

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=involuntary+and+unbidden+trance
0 Replies