England gets first jester for 350 years

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:33 am
STONELEIGH (Reuters) - Nigel Roder has beaten six rivals by public acclaim to become England's first official jester for more than 350 years, succeeding Muckle John who lost his job when King Charles 1 was beheaded in 1649.

"This is a real job. He will have to amuse and provoke -- although failure to do so will no longer risk beheading," Tracy Borman, events director of English Heritage, told Reuters on Saturday.

Unlike court jesters of old, Roder will be able to negotiate his salary, and his initial contract with English Heritage -- to divert the public from the tedious daily grind -- will run from March to October 2005.

Roder -- professional name Kester the Jester -- juggled and diaboloed his way to victory over a diverse field that included a poetry-reading Frenchwoman in the contest near Warwick.

"It feels good. I am a national fool now. It is the best thing a man can be," he said after his victory.

Jesters of the past, though figures of fun at the royal court, were often highly intelligent men whose quick wit and sharp tongue both diverted the monarch and reminded him of his mortality.

Success could bring fame and fortune, but failure could result in shame, pain and even death. Two jesters, Will Somers under the quick-tempered King Henry VIII, and Tarlton under his younger daughter Elizabeth I, were household names in England during their lifetimes.

Many of William Shakespeare's plays feature fools both as buffoons and as rapier-tongued deflators of bombast -- notably in Twelfth Night and King Lear.

The role of court jester died out in Europe in the 18th century, though their roles were taken up by comedians and satirists. "It is about time we had a jester again. We could do with one," Borman said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 518 • Replies: 18
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:40 am
Ah, Feste is a wonderful character:

FESTE: Good madonna, why mourn'st thou?

OLIVIA: Good Fool, for my brother's death.

FESTE: I think his soul is in hell, madonna.

OLIVIA: I know his soul is in heaven, fool.

FESTE: The more fool, madonna, to mourn for your brother's soul, being in heaven. Take away the fool, gentlemen.

I'll be intrigued to see whether this new fool will be a punster or just will be making a jackass of himself... still, it is a nice idea, to bring the jester back.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
wow you really know your literature don't you Shocked
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
I got into the habit of reading lots when I was younger, as I then had nothing much else to do...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
i read a lot when i was young too but only science fiction and fantasy stuff and the odd war book...
now i just read cosmic books
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:01 am
Cool; what are cosmic books? Things like your 'O.A.F.God' post?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:06 am
Smile i call cosmic books things like Ouspensky, Gurdjieff,Buddhist books, biblical stuff, freemasonic stuff or books on any form of spirituality and esoteric philosophy and psychology

im also fascinated by the universe and that as you can see from my O.A.F.God post
ps i like it... oaf god Very Happy
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Very Happy... I like that post too. Not such an oaf when coming to the Universe.

I think that one has to find oneself, and one's society, before gaining more... you probably don't just believe and go straight to nirvana/heaven/whatever...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:19 am
yeah man
there this thing in scientology that i got put thru when i was a teenager that is called the 8 dynamics
which your supposed to align with to acheive perfection
if i can remember em they are

1=self or i
2=family and sexual partners
3=friends and group
4=community/nation
5=humanity
6=all matter/life
7=spiritual life
8=god

christ also used to talk about the seven levels of love which are the same as above but with the number 8
as loving god was taken for granted back then...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
Do you still believe in Scientology, or did you go off it?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:25 am
its not really belief as such its a being thing
i went off it but theyve never stopped trying to re-recruit me
i eventually managed to get rid of em a couple of years back then i was 30 yrs old... so for 14 yrs they hounded me....
my brother was the minister of the church here in leeds so i got put thru the training young(16-18)
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:25 am
im going out to a unity day festival here in leeds
so i will go soon and wont reply
just so you know
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:29 am
What is 'Unity Day?' I hope that you enjoy it.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
http://www.unityday.freeserve.co.uk/

here the link check it out
is just like a peace n love festival
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
It seems interesting. Have you been there before?

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
(Been to one before, I should say.)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:39 am
yeah last year i went and once before too
lots of people, music, drugs.... the usual stuff
good atmosphere...
0 Replies

Col Man