Money no object for American lover of Indian food

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:52 am
LONDON (AFP) - An American has splashed out 45,000 pounds (67,000 euros, 83,000 dollars) for an eight-course meal for friends at one of the world's finest Indian restaurants, a newspaper reported.

The Michelin-starred Tamarind, in the tony Mayfair district of central London, where an average full-course meal goes for 45 pounds or so, said the tab was far and away the biggest it had ever seen.

Its manager Rajest Suri said the anonymous spendthrift was a regular customer from New York who wanted to celebrate the opening of an exhibition of his watercolours at a London gallery.

"There were about 90 guests, of whom about 60 had flown over from America specially," he was quoted in the Daily Telegraph as saying.

It took a month to "design" the meal, which took place last week with fire jugglers, Bollywood dancers and musicians. The Tamarind itself was transformed into a vast tented maharaja's palace.

The menu included king prawns marinated in ginger, paprika and Ajwain wine; wholewheat crisp and lentil dumplings and lamb served with creamed black lentils; tandoor-smoked aubergine pulp; and braised saffron rice.

Dessert was a reduced milk dumpling with pistachio.

"The host's only concern was that the evening was quite exceptional," Suri said. "There was no limit on how much he was prepared to spend."

Steep as it seems, the bill only equalled, and did not surpass, that for an equally grand dinner at celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey's Petrus restaurant in London three years ago.

For comparative purposes, 45,000 pounds in London can buy more than 5,750 chicken tikka masalas, delivered to your home or office -- one for every day of the year for the next 15 years and a bit beyond.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 538 • Replies: 14
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:47 am
Bloody hell! Kindness is good; but blowing that much money on something that will do nothing but be ejected from the body is not wise, to me at least.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:49 am
Pass me his number.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:52 am
Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:56 am
Heh heh heh Very Happy.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:58 am
Laughing I'm calculating the actual food cost in my head right now...and laughing.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:00 am
maybe you need to move to london cav Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:02 am
Actually, this was quite interesting. My dad does a lot of work in India, designing movie theatres. He has been wined and dined by his clients at the top restaurants wherever he has visited, and believe me....it would have been cheaper and most likely just as good for this guy to fly to India. Laughing
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:05 am
good im glad to post something that stimulated your interest Wink
yeah man i agree some people have more money than sense
god damned capitalists
roll on armageddon.........
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:10 am
I don't reply to everything you post, Col Man, but I do read with interest, and kinda get withdrawal if I don't see a flood of strange stories from you each day. :wink: Keep the faith.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:15 am
Is it ever worth blowing that amount of money on something that one can get for much cheaper?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:16 am
thanks man...i appreciate that Very Happy
the faith is kept my brother Smile
i can move any mountain Wink
i was a bit worried actually cos in the last day or two harly anyone replied to my posts but i did see people were looking at them Smile
and lastly anything to bring a little light hearted homour or crazyness into this 'all too serious' world

long live love light and laughter Exclamation SmileVery HappySmileVery HappySmile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:17 am
it just goes to massage these soulless monkey egos drom
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:17 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
Is it ever worth blowing that amount of money on something that one can get for much cheaper?

Yes, when it comes to paying my rent. Laughing

Col Man, good on ya. Off to work now! :wink:
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:03 am
I can just feel the love in here Very Happy.

Well, I'm back, and you know that I reply to most. A2K has quiet periods, even if they're few and far between; especially quiet periods on certain boards.

0 Replies