Italian swims from Alcatraz with hands, feet bound

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:13 am
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Italian pharmacist swam from the former prison island of Alcatraz to San Francisco with his hands and feet tied on Friday, the first such feat in more than three decades.

"I'm feeling good but a bit cold," Alberto Cristini told Reuters shortly after completing the roughly 2-mile (3-km) swim in an hour and 50 minutes. "The currents were strong when I started out but everything turned out well."

A resident of Rovigo near Venice, Cristini, 43, had his hands and legs tied with thick rubber bands. He wore a black wet suit, pointed his hands forward and kicked with his legs.

By the time he arrived at Chrissy Field near the Golden Gate Bridge, he looked pale and his eye were bloodshot.

Although currents between Alcatraz and San Francisco were said to be so strong and waters so cold that no prisoner could escape, others have made the swim.

Health club trainer Pedro Ordenes claims hold the record for most unshackled swims between Alcatraz and San Francisco at 238. "This is one of the most difficult channels of water in the world to cross because of the currents," he said.

Fitness guru Jack La Lanne, 89, who was born in San Francisco in 1914, pioneered an Alcatraz to San Francisco swim in 1955 while handcuffed.

"It's tough," he said in an interview from his home in Morro Bay on California's central coast. "I congratulate him, I think it's terrific."

La Lanne repeated the swim on his 60th birthday handcuffed and with his legs shackled -- and while pulling a 1,000-pound (450-kg) boat.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 582 • Replies: 11
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:45 am
What is the point, do you think? People will both humiliate and, now, it seems, harm themselves, for being noted in the eyes of a few people who like talking about oddities.

0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:47 am
Calm down, drom! It's only a story.

Breathe in.....breathe out..... slowly.

Feel better?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:48 am
*Tries to appear nonchalant ;D*

I know! I'm not mad, am I?

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:51 am
hehe Razz
i personally think the whole world has gone mad...
what happened to simply getting on with life and loving one another
dont people realise the love they needs inside of them?
oh well its their lives
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:54 am
I was up last night, talking to this Australian friend of mine who was being pissed around with, all because She thought that it was fair that Aussie soldiers should be prosecuted for torching and torturing kittens to their death; people disagreed with her...

Love just doesn't seem as good as greed to most, unfortunately, Col...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:00 am
the horror...
what monsters
its always sickened me how inhuman people can be
stories like that make me want to go back to the monastery and stay there forever
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:04 am
The argument for them was that the kittens were not humans. That soldiers torture any living thing is bad enough.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:16 am
yes thats the usual argument from these 'superior humans'
'its ok they are only animals.....'
is bad enough for me that soldiers exist and people need armies....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:23 am
I agree. Suspicion breeds this, though. I doubt that we will ever have a peaceful world, unfortunately. It would be better, I feel, if we had no countries and just got around, helping others as we went...

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:35 am
you 'feel' right sister...
its all a matter of ego from person to country, to race, to religion ... is just a matter of size...
we wil have peace...when these people are gone...
or learn that everyone else feels what they feel too...
there will always be hope...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:45 am
Is war needed to get peace from the warmongerers? I hope not. But they won't die out, I don't think; we are praught to that greed is good, everywhere, and not many people disregard this, as they think that greed is the best way to look out.. for themselves.

Still, hope is the highest point of life. Without it, nothing's worth it...

0 Replies