Anyone Famous From YOUR High School?

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:14 pm
my folks went to Erasmus Hall High School together.

pretty impressive list of famous people:
bobby fischer
john forsythe
gabe kaplan
bernie koppel
beverly sills
barbara stanwyck
barbara streisand

and sports figures:
billy cunningham
al davis
waite hoyt
doug moe
jerry reinsdorf
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:17 pm
You'll laugh; but the only famous people who went to my High school were a failed Big Brother contestant, and a guy who dresses up in speedos and sings '118! 118!' in a Telephone directory ad.

Yes, fame is a wondrous thing.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 04:30 pm
Not many. The only two I can think of off-hand is Rev. James Meeks, a minister of a huge church in Chicago kicking up alot of sand and Pedro Bell, the former album cover designer for Parliament/Funkadelic during their heyday.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:24 pm
Besides me? John Waters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:16 pm
James Meeks rings a bell, and I typed that .. before I noticed the connection.

I suppose I might be thinking of James Weeks, a painter, but I don't think so, I think I must have read about Meeks.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:17 pm
Wow RP nice lineup.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 09:14 pm
E.L. Koningsburg ('From the Mixed-Up Files. . .', etc).
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 09:40 pm
Ooowee. I just googled him, osso, and had no idea Rev. James Meeks was now a Senator of Illinois and a VP at Operation PUSH. He's really moving into the bigtime. All I remember from high school is Little Jimmy Meeks.
0 Replies

Shosh24

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:34 am
Junior Seau graduated from my high school, he was a football player for the San Diego Chargers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:19 am
I remember Junior Seau's name. That is right around the time I stopped paying attention to football (US style), no fault of his, of course.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:29 am
One famous person from my school, was the "inventor" of some rather famous streetlamps in Berlin (about 1900) (link; link).

Another one is the school secretary, a neighbour of us, who was secretary during all my time at grammar school: she won the gold medal in Heptathlon, Mexico 1968, and became later secretary of state for culture in Rhineland-Palentine.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 01:54 am
My old high school's website is down, but I'm fairly sure that there is a list on there. Perhaps it will be up again sometime and I'll post a list.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:32 am
well despite being from Karlovac, Croatia, town that most of your probably haven't heard of, I have very very famous person in my high-school history. There are some very famous Croatians (poets, painters, politicians), but the most famous is definitely: Nikola Tesla, worldwide famous inventor of a telephone repeater, rotating magnetic field principle, polyphase alternating-current system, induction motor, alternating-current power transmission, Tesla coil transformer, wireless communication, radio, fluorescent lights, and more than 700 other patents.
Tesla is today also unit of magnetic inductivity.

http://www.matura-hr.com/generacija%202002_03/karlovac/gimnazija/gimnazija-karlovac.jpghttp://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/images/nikola-tesla.gif
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:20 am
She didn't go to my high school, but I was good friends with Amanda Marshall while I was in high school. My school boasts maybe half the cast of the original "Degrassi" series, and "Degrassi High", but I'm not sure that counts.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:24 am
Quote:
my folks went to Erasmus Hall High School together.

Region-So did my dad, but he probably went much earlier!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 06:33 am
John Updike went to my HS and it always pissed me off that , when the schools began the advanced placement systems in the late 60s , he was beginning his career and we had to read all his stuff. Being exposed to literature in the same fashion as going to a movie, to recognize landmarks because the film was shot in an area youve lived , is STUPID. The teachers made us find
Updikes landmarks and seek out the 'meaning" that made Updike choose his sites and scenes.
Too many high school writing teachers place waay too much emphasis on "what things really mean" and they miss the story. Sometimes a brewerey is a brewery and is not the symbol of a womans privates
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 07:35 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
...Nikola Tesla, worldwide famous inventor...
Wow!!!

Tesla was THE inventor both by productivity and personality, unfortunately most people are unaware of his tremendous input and impact on the modern technology. I believe he also invented the electrical bulb simultaneously with Edison, but the latter patented it first... right?
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:00 am
yes, well, that's at least what they say. But, you know, Tesla was Serb from Croatia (in the light of Balkan wars he is now more famous here by his words "I am equally proud of my Serbian nation and my Croatian homeland" then by his inventions), and Balkan nations are mythology lovers.
So, even when someone is so famous and so great as Tesla, it's quite possible that Croats and Serbs will make up something else Very Happy His inventions are not enough, so let's say that he invented few other things as well Wink

But, I have heard several times story about the bulb, so it might be true, especially since he was, unlike Edison, very introverted person

Addition: I just came home from river Korana, and as every afternoon I was swimming and then resting (chating, watching girls, having fun) on my favourite spot - Korana waterfall, same waterfall where Tesla almost died (he was saved by milkmen from other side of river that used to bring milk to town every morning back then).

http://www.ka-net.net/fotogalerija/Rijeke/Korana1.jpg
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:
yes, well, that's at least what they say. But, you know, Tesla was Serb from Croatia (in the light of Balkan wars he is now more famous here by his words "I am equally proud of my Serbian nation and my Croatian homeland" then by his inventions), and Balkan nations are mythology lovers.
So, even when someone is so famous and so great as Tesla, it's quite possible that Croats and Serbs will make up something else Very Happy His inventions are not enough, so let's say that he invented few other things as well Wink
Ah, I see. I've heard he was a Serb so that was a little confusing.
MyOwnUsername wrote:
But, I have heard several times story about the bulb, so it might be true, especially since he was, unlike Edison, very introverted person
By Myers-Briggs classification, ENTP; they even made up a nickname "inventor" for that. I saw Tesla listed as canonic ENTP. Looks like he was using the method of "scientific pushing and prodding".

He also had an interesting idea of wireless distribution of electricity (you might have seen that spectacular experiment when an unconnected fluorescent lamp lights up).
MyOwnUsername wrote:
Addition: I just came home from river Korana, and as every afternoon I was swimming and then resting (chatting, watching girls, having fun) on my favourite spot - Korana waterfall, same waterfall where Tesla almost died (he was saved by milkmen from other side of river that used to bring milk to town every morning back then).
Great picture, thanks :-) !

That's what I liked in Croatia - plenty of water and green forests...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 12:09 pm
Galilite wrote:

That's what I liked in Croatia - plenty of water and green forests...

You really should come here! :wink:
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:16:59