“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts”?

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:35 am
Now the speaker went on:

Quote:
There have been a lot of attempts by the various press reporters to get some kind of a capsule of this talk; I prepared it only a little time ago, so it was impossible; but I can see them all rushing out now to write some sort of headline which says: "The Professor called the President of NSTA a toad."

Does "some kind of a capsule" mean "some kind of a summary"?

FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:38 am
@oristarA,
Yes, exactly. A small version of the bigger picture.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:41 am
@FBM,
Thanks.
The speaker went on:
Quote:
Under these circumstances of the difficulty of the subject, and my dislike of philosophical exposition, I will present it in a very unusual way. I am just going to tell you how I learned what science is.

That's a little bit childish. I learned it as a child. I have had it in my blood from the beginning. And I would like to tell you how it got in. This sounds as though I am trying to tell you how to teach, but that is not my intention. I'm going to tell you what science is like by how I learned what science is like.

Does "how it got in" refer to "how it got/arrived in my blood"?
FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 08:43 am
@oristarA,
Pretty much, yes. How it got into his way of thinking, his mindset. 思考方式?
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:11 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Thanks.
The Chinese phrase is expressed by you accurately.I've put "way of thinking"into Google Translator and found the result is different. So it seems that you may have written the four Chinese characters yourself.
I now wrote the following Chinese. Can you understand it? If you can, please translate it into English and let me see whether you would have done it well.
费因曼是二十世纪与爱因斯坦并驾齐驱的最伟大的物理学家之一。
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:40 am
The speaker went on:

Quote:
When I was very young--the earliest story I know--when I still ate in a high chair, my father would play a game with me after dinner.

He had brought a whole lot of old rectangular bathroom floor tiles from some place in Long Island City. We sat them up on end, one next to the other, and I was allowed to push the end one and watch the whole thing go down. So far, so good.

Looks like that the floor titles are made of wood/plastic? But for bathroom, ceramic tiles are best IMO.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:28 am
The speaker went on:

Quote:
Next, the game improved. The tiles were different colors. I must put one white, two blues, one white, two blues, and another white and then two blues--I may want to put another blue, but it must be a white. You recognize already the usual insidious cleverness; first delight him in play, and then slowly inject material of educational value.

Failed to get a clear picture of "the usual insidious cleverness." It appears that the clever idea in the speaker's mind was that he had an impulse to put another blue tile on the two blue tiles; yet the rule is: he must put a white on two blue tiles. So "the insidious cleverness" showed up itself in his brain, which he had no clue how it occurred - that is why it is insidious.
Am I on the right track?
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 11:05 am
The speaker went on:

Quote:
I listened to a conversation between two girls, and one was explaining that if you want to make a straight line, you see, you go over a certain number to the right for each row you go up--that is, if you go over each time the same amount when you go up a row, you make a straight line--a deep principle of analytic geometry! It went on. I was rather amazed. I didn't realize the female mind was capable of understanding analytic geometry.

Failed to get "for each row you go up" clearly. If you make a line on a paper, we make it from top to bottom of the paper. So for each row we go down, not up.
(But for weaving, you go up each row, yes)
FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:26 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

FBM wrote:

Thanks.
The Chinese phrase is expressed by you accurately.I've put "way of thinking"into Google Translator and found the result is different. So it seems that you may have written the four Chinese characters yourself.
I now wrote the following Chinese. Can you understand it? If you can, please translate it into English and let me see whether you would have done it well.
费因曼是二十世纪与爱因斯坦并驾齐驱的最伟大的物理学家之一。

Sorry, I didn't intend to make you think I'm fluent in Chinese. I used Google Translate on the Korean expression: 사고방식. Then I copied and pasted the Chinese. I can only read about 20~30 Chinese characters without help. Mr. Green
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:28 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The speaker went on:

Quote:
When I was very young--the earliest story I know--when I still ate in a high chair, my father would play a game with me after dinner.

He had brought a whole lot of old rectangular bathroom floor tiles from some place in Long Island City. We sat them up on end, one next to the other, and I was allowed to push the end one and watch the whole thing go down. So far, so good.

Looks like that the floor titles are made of wood/plastic? But for bathroom, ceramic tiles are best IMO.

I'm sure they were ceramic, considering the time frame. In the US, ceramic floor tiles are much smaller than they are here in Korea. I'm not sure about China. Anyway, it's possible to set them up like dominos and topple them without breaking them.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:31 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The speaker went on:

Quote:
Next, the game improved. The tiles were different colors. I must put one white, two blues, one white, two blues, and another white and then two blues--I may want to put another blue, but it must be a white. You recognize already the usual insidious cleverness; first delight him in play, and then slowly inject material of educational value.

Failed to get a clear picture of "the usual insidious cleverness." It appears that the clever idea in the speaker's mind was that he had an impulse to put another blue tile on the two blue tiles; yet the rule is: he must put a white on two blue tiles. So "the insidious cleverness" showed up itself in his brain, which he had no clue how it occurred - that is why it is insidious.
Am I on the right track?

Not exactly. The game was first introduced as just a fun game, nothing educational. Then after it starts, the rules start getting complicated, and it becomes educational. From a child's point of view, it's insidious cleverness. The child just wants to play, not learn, but the adult is sneakily teaching him something.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 09:33 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The speaker went on:

Quote:
I listened to a conversation between two girls, and one was explaining that if you want to make a straight line, you see, you go over a certain number to the right for each row you go up--that is, if you go over each time the same amount when you go up a row, you make a straight line--a deep principle of analytic geometry! It went on. I was rather amazed. I didn't realize the female mind was capable of understanding analytic geometry.

Failed to get "for each row you go up" clearly. If you make a line on a paper, we make it from top to bottom of the paper. So for each row we go down, not up.

Think instead about graph paper, not a blank white sheet. Columns are vertical, rows are horizontal. Wink
oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 09:07 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

oristarA wrote:

The speaker went on:

Quote:

Think instead about graph paper, not a blank white sheet. Columns are vertical, rows are horizontal. Wink

I searched for graph paper. It impressed me that whether you go up a row or go down you get a straight line altogether if the base line or reference line itself is a straight line:

Quote:
I listened to a conversation between two girls, and one was explaining that if you want to make a straight line, you see, you go over a certain number to the right for each row you go down--that is, if you go over each time the same amount when you go down a row, you make a straight line--a deep principle of analytic geometry! It went on. I was rather amazed. I didn't realize the female mind was capable of understanding analytic geometry.

What do you think?

If there are three points (A,B,C) on a vertical (straight) line and if you move over each time from the points the same amount, you get another three points: A1,B1,C1; connecting A1,B1,C1 you get a straight line. Is this what the author tells us?
oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 09:46 am
Failed to figure out how the twenty is gotten:
Can you figure it out?

The speaker went on:
Quote:
She went on and said, "Suppose you have another line coming in from the other side, and you want to figure out where they are going to intersect. Suppose on one line you go over two to the right for every one you go up, and the other line goes over three to the right for every one that it goes up, and they start twenty steps apart," etc.--I was flabbergasted. She figured out where the intersection was. It turned out that one girl was explaining to the other how to knit argyle socks. I, therefore, did learn a lesson: The female mind is capable of understanding analytic geometry. Those people who have for years been insisting (in the face of all obvious evidence to the contrary) that the male and female are equally capable of rational thought may have something. The difficulty may just be that we have never yet discovered a way to communicate with the female mind.

argyle:
http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mda43cd8a4c93fc28755ecbfafb212475H0&pid=15.1

argyle socks:

http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Md4a68066aa20928b914e28cdfad4d174o0&pid=15.1
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:04 am
The speaker went on:

Quote:
When I was learning later in school how to make the decimals for fractions, and how to make 3 1/8, 1 wrote 3.125 and, thinking I recognized a friend, wrote that it equals pi, the ratio of circumference to diameter of a circle. The teacher corrected it to 3.1416.

Does "a friend" here refer to "the equivalent (of 3.125)"?
layman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:08 am
@oristarA,
Quote:

Not really. Friend refers to pi (which was his "friend"). He thought 3.125 was pi, because he was eager to see pi. Why eager? Because it was his friend.

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 11:38 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:

Not really. Friend refers to pi (which was his "friend"). He thought 3.125 was pi, because he was eager to see pi. Why eager? Because it was his friend.

Good use. Childish though.
Thanks.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 07:39 pm
In the context below, does "-not what the number was" refer to "what the number was is not important to me (but that there is a wonder about the number was important to me")"?.

The speaker went on:

Quote:
I illustrate these things to show an influence. The idea that there is a mystery, that there is a wonder about the number was important to me--not what the number was. Very much later, when I was doing experiments in the laboratory--I mean my own home laboratory, fiddling around--no, excuse me, I didn't do experiments, I never did; I just fiddled around. Gradually, through books and manuals, I began to discover there were formulas applicable to electricity in relating the current and resistance, and so on. One day, looking at the formulas in some book or other, I discovered a formula for the frequency of a resonant circuit, which was f = 1/2 pi LC, where L is the inductance and C the capacitance of the... circle? You laugh, but I was very serious then. Pi was a thing with circles, and here is pi coming out of an electric circuit. Where was the circle? Do those of you who laughed know how that comes about?
layman

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 07:47 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
In the context below, does "-not what the number was" refer to "what the number was is not important to me (but that there is a wonder about the number was important to me")"?.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, Oris, so I'm not sure how to answer it with a simple yes or no.

As I read it the wonder he has is about WHY he became fascinated with Pi. He wasn't fascinated by the exact value of the number itself (whether it be 3.126, 3.14, or whatever). It was a number that described EVERY circle in some way, and I think he found that part fascinating. It wasn't what the number was, but just the fact that there was such a number.

You follow me?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 08:38 pm
@oristarA,

layman wrote:

Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, Oris, so I'm not sure how to answer it with a simple yes or no.

As I read it the wonder he has is about WHY he became fascinated with Pi. He wasn't fascinated by the exact value of the number itself (whether it be 3.126, 3.14, or whatever). It was a number that described EVERY circle in some way, and I think he found that part fascinating. It wasn't what the number was, but just the fact that there was such a number.

You follow me?

Got it, thank you Lay.
"a mystery" and "a wonder" is the same thing - his fascination with Pi.

BTW, would you like to explain a previous question?
oristarA wrote:

FBM wrote:

oristarA wrote:

The speaker went on:

Quote:

I searched for graph paper. It impressed me that whether you go up a row or go down you get a straight line altogether if the base line or reference line itself is a straight line:

Quote:
I listened to a conversation between two girls, and one was explaining that if you want to make a straight line, you see, you go over a certain number to the right for each row you go down--that is, if you go over each time the same amount when you go down a row, you make a straight line--a deep principle of analytic geometry! It went on. I was rather amazed. I didn't realize the female mind was capable of understanding analytic geometry.

What do you think?

If there are three points (A,B,C) on a vertical (straight) line and if you move over each time from the points the same amount, you get another three points: A1,B1,C1; connecting A1,B1,C1 you get a straight line. Is this what the author tells us?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:11:54