Australian woman reports freak kangaroo attack

Col Man

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:32 am
CANBERRA (AFP) - An Australian woman attacked by a drought-crazed kangaroo in the national capital said she was lucky to be alive.

In the second attack of its type in a month, Canberra resident Maree Steer suffered deep cuts and bruising after she tried to stop the kangaroo attacking her pet labrador.

"If I hadn't got away I think you'd be at my funeral today," Steeer told reporters.

Kangaroos are normally timid but a severe drought has dried up their water sources, forcing them closer to human settlements.

Authorities in Canberra recently ordered a cull of 1,000 kangaroos which had been congregating around the city's main dam.

Another woman was attacked last month as she was walking her poodle and two Canberra residents claim their dogs have drowned as a result of a kangaroo attack.

Steer said she was trying to stop the kangaroo attacking her dog when it turned on her.

"It was looking at me straight in the eye and had its ears back," she said.

Steer hit it with a piece of timber then ran away.

The kangaroo has not been found.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 388 • Replies: 0
No top replies