Story By Jamal Watson of Amsterdam News.

raceman

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 07:03 am
Harlem's Bill Lynch to lead Kerry campaign
by JAMAL WATSON
Amsterdam News Staff

U.S. Senator John Kerry has tapped one of the nation's most sought-after political strategists to serve as deputy manager for his presidential campaign.

Earlier this week, Kerry offered William (Bill) Lynch Jr., of Harlem, the second-in-command post of his campaign just one week after he announced that John Edwards, the senator from North Carolina, would be his vice presidential running mate.

''I think it's a great honor that I've been asked and encouraged by a number of political friends to do this,'' said Lynch, speaking from Washington, D.C. ''I know how important this election is for our country, and for our people in particular,'' he added.

Lynch, 62, is no political novice. He was the two-time mayoral campaign manager to former New York City Mayor David Dinkins, and later served from 1990 through 1993 as deputy mayor for New York City, responsible for intergovernmental affairs. In this position, he managed several city departments, including the Community Development Agency, Commission of Human Rights and the Voter Assistance Commission.

He has a strong relationship with Dinkins, having served previously as his chief of staff when Dinkins was the Manhattan borough president.
Offering Lynch the job was ''the smartest thing the Kerry campaign could do,'' said Dinkins in an interview, adding that Lynch brings a knowledge of politics and credibility to the campaign operations.

''He is one of the very smartest politicians I have ever encountered,'' he added.

Kerry's selection of Lynch, who is president of his own political consulting firm, comes at a time when some African Americans, including the Reverend Jesse L. Jackson, have publicly questioned Kerry's ability to connect with the Black community.

In a national poll released this week of African American registered voters commissioned by Black America's Political Action Committee (BAMPAC), less than one in three (32%) African Americans stated that they definitely believed that Senator John Kerry was the best candidate to replace President George W. Bush in November's election.

But this week, Lynch said that he believes that support for the Kerry-Edwards ticket is strong among Blacks. As more African Americans hear the two politicians on the campaign trail, their message will likely resonate, he said.

''I think the Black community wants him elected,'' said Lynch, who added that his role will be to help the campaign connect with the party's base, including African Americans, women and Latinos. ''I think this a fabulous ticket and I'm going to do everything I can do to help Kerry and Edwards win.''

In 1991, Lynch coordinated the New York celebration for Nelson Mandela, who visited the United States after he was released from a South African prison. A year later, he was successful in luring the Democrats to hold their 1992 convention in the city. And in 1997, Bill Clinton nominated the long-time Democrat to the position of vice chair of the Democratic National Committee.

He currently serves on the board of several organizations, including the Boys Choir of Harlem, Children's Defense Fund and the Hamilton Heights-Sugar Hill Historic Committee.

Donna L. Brazile, a political consultant who managed former Vice President Al Gore's campaign said that she was pleased to hear of Lynch's appointment.

''Bill is a strong and avid supporter of civil rights and voting rights,'' said Brazile. ''He can help guide the Kerry campaign to victory. He know what's at stake.''

Brazile said that Lynch introduced her to the world of politics when she arrived in New York City in 1984 to help work on Walter Mondale's presidential campaign.

His knowledge of American politics and campaigns positions him in a place to help bring marginalized voices back into the political process, Brazile said.

''Bill understands the road to the White House and how to get us there."
As for the presidential race, Lynch says that he's taking nothing for granted.

''I always see campaigns as an uphill strive,'' said Lynch. ''My focus is to try to get a majority of the vote around the country for the Kerry-Edwards ticket.''

Jamal Watson can be reached at [email protected].
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 525 • Replies: 0
No top replies