Convince Me There is a God

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 02:40 pm
I was raised a Christian, but recently became an atheist. Many people claim that their religion is correct and that atheism is wrong. This forum is for those people to try and convince me why I should believe in a God.

Ragman

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 07:21 pm
@ThereIsNoGod,
Why would I (or anyone else) want to convince you about such a personal belief regarding your faith or non-faith? that is your personal choice and responsibility. It's up for you to decide for yourself.
Quote:
This forum is for those people to try and convince me why I should believe in a God.

No, it's not.
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 07:38 pm
This joker started another thread asking if he should tell people he is an atheist. He is shaping up as the typical militant, explicit atheist.
Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:07 pm
I’ll handle this guy.

Consider that we have our existence on an orb that is spinning at one thousand miles per hour. Not only that, but this orb is traveling through the frozen vacuum of space at sixty-seven thousand miles per hour. Where is it going? Nowhere. It's circling a much hotter, much larger, and much less dense orb. And from this less dense orb comes that which activates all things necessary to the existence of all things on, and within, this orb. Seems quaint enough, in a cosmic sort of way. However, when I considered that most of the surface of this orb is covered in water, while also considering its rate of speed and spin, I couldn’t help feeling that our position here is just really precarious.

All that water! If anything interrupts that spin or speed, there's going to be a lot of mopping up to do afterwards, and almost certainly no one left to do it. Or, if anyone is left to do it, almost certainly they'll be in no condition to do so. And even if they were in good enough physical condition to do some mopping, almost certainly they'll lack the will to do so, as there would be no money in it.

No doubt my observation will cause you to view meteors and asteroids in a less than favorable light from now on since the impact from a large enough one could potentially affect the spin of our orb. Technically, however, meteors and asteroids don't slam into our orb; our orb slams into meteors and asteroids at the breakneck speed of sixty-seven thousand miles per hour. And all this time you thought that meteors and asteroids were the aggressors. Think, man! Would something the size of a football field or smaller knowingly take on something the size of a planet? Certainly not without the judgment-blurring influence of alcohol. And where would a meteor or asteroid get alcohol out in the frozen vacuum of space?

So, in answer to your question, something with a lot of power is protecting the Earth from a meteor or asteroid strike, and more than likely it’s a god because I can’t think of anything else with enough power to do such a thing. Can you?
Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:10 pm
I hope you're kidding, because that is utter horseshit.
Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:19 pm
@Setanta,
You are sooooo serious. Neutral
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:26 pm
I enjoyed the batshit crazy fantasy, but around here, you can never tell if people actually do believe crap like that.
ThereIsNoGod

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:28 pm
@Ragman,
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say in the line you quoted me on. What I was trying to say is that I started this post for people to try and convince me why a God exists.
I have read a lot of information to arrive at the choice I have. Although currently I am an atheist, I am willing to hear all the evidence from both sides. I would like people to try and present me with evidence from the other side to see if I made the correct decision or not.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:30 pm
@Setanta,
First and foremost, I am a goofball. It's something I have no control over. It's who I am . . .
0 Replies

ThereIsNoGod

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:31 pm
@Setanta,
I am a teenager who simply made a big decision in my life recently and I am wanting advice on what to do next.
I know you feel powerful behind that computer screen and think you can say anything (and you can) but in the long run trying to hurt others will not make you happy, I hope you realize that. Instead of going around trying to belittle people, how about you actually help them like this website was created to do.
0 Replies

ThereIsNoGod

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:35 pm
@Glennn,
I appreciate your willingness to POLITELY (not addressing anyone in particular) answer my question.
All this example is very specific, it seems to boil down to the same thing that religious people say. They state something in nature that they don't understand how it works, then since they don't understand it they claim it must be the doing of a god.
Do you (or anyone else) have any other examples of evidence for a god?
Thank you for your time and providing polite answers to my questions.
Glennn

Reply Tue 8 Dec, 2015 08:58 pm
@ThereIsNoGod,
I try to include some humor in my posting when possible.

But if I were to say what I think about it all, I would say that I know that I don't know. That is to say that I can't explain how it is that we are here, or what it's all for. That's the best place to start, in my opinion. Obviously something is going on. Based on my life experiences, I'm inclined to believe that physicality is but one aspect of life, and that there may be as many different realms (dimensions) of existence as there are shades of color, each with a different frequency separating it from the other. And in that sense, it may not be true that the more physically solid something is, the more real it is; in fact, it might work the other way around.

I suspect that it's like playing a board game. We're here to play. And it might be that it is futile and counterproductive to have to know about origins. If you are playing the game of Monopoly, it wouldn't add anything to the game to be preoccupied with who invented the game, and where it was manufactured. Our presence here is temporary. There really is only the moment. What will you fill it with?

0 Replies

donna downing

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 04:59 am
@ThereIsNoGod,
Hello

If you're an atheist then why do you need convincing? Atheist by definition is a person who doesn't believe that God exist. So why do you put so much effort in asking for some sort of evidence or certainty that would convince you? Just continue believing what you want to believe in. The act of asking others to convince you is actually against all the things you believe in. You shouldn't care about it at all.

Anyway, I respectfully decline your offer for me to present with a proof for I can't and won't have evidence. All I have is faith and since we have opposite beliefs I find it irrelevant to argue. I wish you still the best of luck. And please everyone let us just respect each other's beliefs.
FBM

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 05:15 am
@donna downing,
I'd rather respect respectable people rather than any/all beliefs. There are a lot of beliefs out there that don't deserve respect. That a raped woman should be killed for having been raped. Stonings, ostracism, honor killings, beheadings, witch hunts, bloody crusades, terrorism, etc, based on religious beliefs. NAMBLA, Neo-naziism, Aum Shinrikyo, etc etc. No, thanks. I'll respect a person who behaves in a deserving manner, but not everyone's beliefs just because they're beliefs. Bad ideas deserve to be resisted.

I'm OK with the OP. If I'm going to re-restructure my whole lifestyle, worldview and cosmology based on someone's religious claims, I'm going to have to see some evidence this time. The first time, I was a believer just because I'd been raised in a believing society, and because it felt good to imagine an eternity in a blissful heaven. I've learned a lot about how to reason carefully and critically since then. So, with all due respect, I think I'll do my best to respect respectable people while at the same time calling bullshit on bullshit ideas.
0 Replies

ThereIsNoGod

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 07:08 am
@donna downing,
First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply and offer your input.
Actually it doesn't go against my belief at all. True, I do not believe in any gods. But the majority of the population does. Since most people devote their lives to believing in a god, I want to know why? Although I do not believe in a god, if I heard very good evidence to suggest otherwise, I wouldn't be ignorant, I would convert. Even if people don't answer my question I hope they will think about why they believe what they believe and then determine whether they think it is right or not.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 10:32 am
@donna downing,
donna downing wrote:
And please everyone let us just respect each other's beliefs.

I think it's important to differentiate between respecting someone's right to believe something from respecting their actual beliefs. After all, a lot of people believe some pretty crazy things, and we are certainly under no obligation to respect those beliefs.

As a matter of fact, I think it's the responsibility of individuals to ridicule the ridiculous. Otherwise you get an accumulation of crazy ideas within the population which gain an imbalanced foothold within the cultural perspective. This is not something which should be mandated or regulated by the society, it's purely a function of individuals expressing their honest opinion of other people's beliefs.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:40 am
@ThereIsNoGod,
No, you aren't paying attention...You are defying people. If you die tonight you will have your own words to condemn you. IF you are convinced there is no God, then you wouldn't be open to debate. And IF you are not convincend there is no God then you have publicly admitted a serious moral obligation for YOU --- yes, YOU -- to find out.

I can not and should not try to convince someone who is not serioius about the implications of their questioning. Will you complain to God that He should have done more in your case ? That would be very unwise.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:43 pm
@ThereIsNoGod,
Your name shows your dishonesty. If you went by 'Ted' I could take you seriously but as it is you are baiting me, by your name and by claiming to know how I -- with a science degree -- take something in nature. I was 10X the scientiest you are now --- BEFORE-- I became a Christian.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:45 pm
@ThereIsNoGod,
According to Moses and Jesus "No, you would not just convert" Faith is a gift, so say two of the major religions you claim to have power over.
Evidence will not MAKE you convert. It makes no convert who isn't WILLING to convert. And that means YOU doing the discovery work. Faith is of zero value to you if you stake your eternal destiny on whether some random answerer says the magic words.
0 Replies