Monopolist Question

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 07:33 pm
Suppose there is a consumer with a continuous linear demand function given by q(p) = 60 - p. There is one producer with a production cost c = 20/unit. Which of the following is true for the monopolist's production if he sets the quantity in order to maximize his profit? The answer is "The price is 40 and this results in pareto efficiency" How do they get the price of $40?? I thought to find profit max you had to take the derivative? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Kolyo

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 07:54 pm
@StanLeakup,
The money the monopolist makes on each unit is (p - 20). Agreed?

The profit is equal to the money made on each unit multiplied by the number of units sold. Let's call the profit "y", because I don't want to copy-paste a capital pi into this post. So y = q(p - 20).

Substitute "60 - p" into my profit equation for q, to get y = (60 - p)(p - 20) = -p^2 + 80p - 1200.

To find the value of p that maximizes y(p), take the derivative of y with respect to p, and set it equal to zero:

0 = y'(p) = -2p + 80.

p = 40 solves this equation.
StanLeakup

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 08:00 pm
@Kolyo,
Awesome thank you!
0 Replies