What is your favorite radio station?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 07:55 am
Panzade- Are you talking about more modern, experimental, classical music, or some of the more popular genres?

Funny thing, even when I was quite young, and would go to classical concerts, the majority of the people in the audience had grey hair. I was not turned on to the classics until I was 26. And then I had an epiphany, which has stayed with me ever since.

There has to be some way to excite young people about classical music.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:00 am
I'm afraid that like the greatest generation...classical music is disappearing.
I once put together a proposal on a show to feature a scholarly overview of British Invasion rock and roll, but the manager said there wasn't enough interest.
One day the station will cease to broadcast I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:13 am
Quote:
One day the station will cease to broadcast I'm afraid.

Panzade- I hope it never happens, but you may very well be right. Our young people are missing out on a lot, if they are ignorant of classical music.

I am sure that a lot of junk was written in centuries past. Only the best remains, and is still played. I think that the reason that these pieces are still popular, is its timelessness. I really wonder what popular music of the 20-21st century will still be around in 200-300 years. In comparison, IMO, the vast majority of the pop music of the last 50 years is ear candy, just a minor diversion.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:21 am
Interesting topic and worthy of a thread...I'm gonna work on it.
The problem with classical music is that the playlist for a station consists of about 1,000 oldy-goldies...it gets old for some people.
Whereas modern pop and R&B is constantly evolving and mutating.
I don't care too much for modern Classical music..it's dissonant and unmelodic. Melody is still the key.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 08:48 am
My station is Pacifica Radio. I had a favorite on am that still played Bobby Darin, Sinatra, Satchmo, Patsy Cline and more, but it became an all sports station a few weeks ago. In a city as large as Houston we can't support diversity in radio.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 09:37 am
I'm hoping that radio will disappear entirely. It's been destroyed by a few media giants. Pretty soon satellite radio will be all that's left.
As it is, my mp3 player in the car holds 10 hrs of music on one cd. I've got my own station: WPAN
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:12 am
I have a radio in my truck with a broken tape player - cassette, not 8 track.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:31 am
Pan:

I fear you may be right, but don't forget the 'net too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:32 am
Yeah, I forgot
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 10:57 am
WXRT in chicago. This station has everything. It is not unusual to hear the Stones followed by Marley, then Buddy Guy, then U2. Sunday morning they have Breakfast with the Beatles where they play all Beatles for two hours. Sunday night they have an hour of the Grateful Dead, then blues then jazz.

If this sounds good to you they are also streaming here
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 01:37 pm
Panzade wrote:
The problem with classical music is that the playlist for a station consists of about 1,000 oldy-goldies...it gets old for some people.

Three cheers for the oldy-goldies. That's the good stuff, the cream that has floated to the top. There are some pieces of music that I can listen to again and again, and never be bored with it. (exception: flute concerti Laughing )
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
Bach : Brandenburg Concerti for me...funny, I never recognized the Brandenburg til I was watching Slaughterhouse 5 and the prisoners were walking through Dresden. The music and the buildings really made a connection.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:26 pm
When I was little, I learned about classical music through radio, TV and movies. Too bad that the kids aren't exposed to a lot of good music that way:

Lone Ranger- William Tell Overture, Les Preludes

The Shadow- Rouet D'Omphale

Mr. & Mrs. Mystery- Bach Tocatta & Fugue in D

2001 A Space Odyssey- Thus Spake Zarathustra, The Blue Danube Waltz

The Goldberg's- Toselli's "Serenade"

Hmm............I was trying to remember some more, and I found this page:

http://www.old-time.com/ffiles/loneranger_music.shtml

Just listening to The Lone Ranger would give a kid a wonderful overview of some great classical music!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 02:31 pm
True and the cartoons had a lot of classical music.
And Peter and The Wolf...and Benjamin Britten...A young man's Introduction To The Orchestra
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2005 03:24 pm
I recall a tale often played on The Story Lady radio show. Seems a boy wished to become a musician. "Dingle dingle dangle
I shall learn to play the triangle."
Well, he did learn, but unfortunately, as the orchestra played (making me appreciate classical music) the boy's trousers kept falling down, so that each time he let go to to hit the triangle we would hear "ding" and a slide whistle going down and then up. Even at that age the humor was a bit broad. Anybody recall the kid's name?
0 Replies