Evolution or Creation

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:18 am
Out of curiosity, were any successful? In my libertarian soul, I think communities should teach their children whatever they wish, but they should be advised they may be blocking their children from admission to all good universities, and the degree would be meaningless from whatever university would take them.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:07 am
<bump>

Just a small CNN poll:

Should creationism be taught in schools?
Yes 33% 18830 votes
No 67% 38051 votes

I share this opinion: No.

There are special religious schools or private tutor for that matter.

I personally prefer the evolution, maybe with the assistance of god or not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
well, to go on record, i feel that Creation and many other myths should be taught in schools but not in thne science curriculum .

Stillwater, those states youve mentioned had already gone through the creation defenses many times before, youre just catching up. The only oone that has stood so far is in Ohio, where "an alternative theory of origins of biological life" can be considered. thhe teaching of the controversy itself is now the big feature that is being re-upped in the states youve mentione. Its a subtle difference but nonetheless an important one since there can be no state ed boards seeing that the controversy doesnt start bleeding into an advocacy stand.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 08:51 am
farmerman wrote:
well, to go on record, i feel that Creation and many other myths should be taught in schools but not in thne science curriculum .

Agreed - and this is succesfully done in most countries, if not nearly all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:20 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Agreed - and this is succesfully done in most countries, if not nearly all.

Really? What classes do they typically classify such things in? Philosophy? Sociology?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:24 am
farmerman wrote:
Stillwater, those states youve mentioned had already gone through the creation defenses many times before, youre just catching up. The only oone that has stood so far is in Ohio, where "an alternative theory of origins of biological life" can be considered.

Here we go again...

Creationism to get place in Wisconsin classes
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
Thok wrote:
Just a small CNN poll:

Should creationism be taught in schools?
Yes 33% 18830 votes
No 67% 38051 votes

I share this opinion: No.

I share this opinion also, but I wonder what the poll results would be if it included more people than just those who read CNN online? I bet if you took a ground sample of people in Wisconsin you would get a very different number.

Why is it that school boards are using public opinion to determine the validity of scientific theories? Shall we start voting on which laws of physics we like and don't like?
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
Probably because they want them to be happy. That's not very bright though, asking people something in which they have no expertise in.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:47 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

Really? What classes do they typically classify such things in? Philosophy? Sociology?

40 years back, I did it in religion, philosophy, history and sociology/politics - under various topics.

(Religion or ethics is taught on German schools.)

And in biology - that was done parallel to when we talked about it in history.

As far as I know from my various nieces, nephews and godchildren in different German states, Austria and Sweden, it is done there similar.
(Relatives/friends, who are teachers in Austria, England and Scotland confirmed that it is done there in about the same way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:46 pm
Rosborne, following Walters points, i recall that, when I was in school, we had survey classes in History concerning the development of societies in time. In 10th grade , as a special problems course coincident with the History of the world from 1500s on and biology I, we learned about the development of chemistry (P chem) and evolution, as well as physics. This course required that the instructors for bio, history, and surveys ... would get together and talk.
With teaching today, there is much talk about prooving proficiency in specific areas by state mandated tests. However, the interelationships of disciplines seems to be missing.

I also commented about the Wisconsin thing in another thread that noddy started. I believe that it was a fortuitous use of election timing and keeping under the radar. The hot creationist topic now is no longer intelligent design, but "teaching about the controversy" Its a cynical first step to get some credibility for Creationism. Its a dying scientific concept so tjat many biologists and geologists dont even bother with the crowd. However, they must remember that the Creationist crowd is dealing with the elementary and secondary schools not Universities and the informed public. They are well funded and persistant. Many times the science advocates just get tired and let up their watch. i predict, from past experience, that the Wisconsin regs will have a short but fiery life.
0 Replies