'Jap Road' to Be Renamed 'Boondocks Road' for Setanta :)

Col Man

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:45 pm
and your term 'real jews' is laughable Wink
let the pain out dude
thats when the healing process will start Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
I'm glad that you picked up on that Col Man. It is laughable, and was intended as so. Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:24 pm
Meanwhile, the effort to get the Upper Middle Class White Trash of suburban Columbus to refer to Bexley as Bexley, rather than Jewville, continues to fail . . .
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
ok thanks cav im glad you see it that way <phew>
you are the great person i think you are Very Happy
and i really do think your a great guy and this isnt a gay thing ok Razz

all my life ive had judaism pushed in my face by people who consider themselves to be morally superior because of it and i find it a bit offensive and hurtful, its self destructive for a start and gets everyone elses back up...
dont get me wrong ive had the same from fundamentalist christians and muslims too and to some degree the buddhists i have known
so im not just pointing the finger at one subset... am i ?
like ive said before in this thread we are all indentified with being something..but we are all part of a greater whole

my fatjher circumcised my brother but thankfully when it came to me he had become disillusioned with religion and i didnt get the brises
im glad because it freed me from all that but all i have to do if i want to go back is go see a rabbi, slip him some cash and hed make me jewish too Wink then again i could convert to islam Wink hmm i wonder Smile
no i prefer to be non religious. simply spiritual ... hassle free Smile hehe Smile

one of my girlfriends is jewish or considers herself to be and technically by the book she is..shes was born in argentina but has spent most of her life in israel in ashdod which if you dont know is just north of tel aviv and a bit south of haifa on the coast
so she is definately taken by the meshua Wink
she tells me stories that there are people who are not jewish, who pretend to be, who come to israel because of the 'right of return' thing and they becomw 'jews' thank to a rabbi doing his bit and then they go around telling everyone else what it is to be jewish!... crazy

because she was born in argentina, her mother, who is called marta called her maria and when she in israel she gets hassle off the israelis who tell her she cant be a real jew with a name like maria! more crazyness...
and in argentina she gets hassle because her last name is goldstein cos she cant be a christian with a name like that ...
oh people people....why are you people.....oh no..no no no no

ive been to synagogue with maria and to be honest i found the service in synagogue better than the services ive been to in christian churches

i had a couple of lessons learning hebrew but i couldnt get my head round it anyway its only useful in israel and until all the trouble is over i dont intend to be going there so i havent made an effort to learn it more than a couple of lessons
maybe one day all learn more

i really love the kabbalah, all different versions of ,it ive studied it a lot and i agree that the hollywood trend is a false image thing but as i read recently in some writing by some rabbi that god taught it to the gentiles too and its all part of his great plan to bring us all together

mitzvah my friend is a great word and so is teshuvah Smile we all need some
of that Smile

i love spirituality too or esoteric ways of seeing everything as a whole
life is after all one big huge conciousness thing

i really believe that we can all live together and see that all this we see ourselves as can be brought together in harmony as opposed to a thing used to divide us

really theres too much suffering pain and hate in the world lets all love each other for what we have in common and stop fighting over what we have in difference Smile

ahhhh its so easy to say Smile

peace and love Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:39 am
Ahh, Col Man, virtual hugs are always platonic. Razz I was born Jewish, but I'm the furthest thing from it. I consider myself a humanist with an edge, but certainly don't entertain any thoughts of a deity as described by any religion. I went through the childhood Jewish education until I was old enough to tell the folks and the 'gogue to piss off. My last year was oh...what the hell age are you confirmed? 15, I think it was. My buddies and I were tapped to do the music for the event. We got the sheet music for a bunch of lame songs and wrote reggae and blues arrangements of them in secret. Boy, they were sure surprised on opening night. Laughing One of the tasks for the budding teens was to write a cute poem about what their religion meant to them. My ditty was called 'I Doubt My Faith' and included the line: "Kiss me, I'm German, gas me, I'm Jewish." That sure got people riled up. I consider it one of my finer moments. My friend and I pissed off one of the rabbis so much one day during rehearsals, he grabbed my friend by the collar, lost all demeanour and grace, and threatened to "slug him" if he kept up his behaviour. Laughing Good times. All religious thought has some value, but the real truth is found in the nooks and crannys, not in the dogma of "I am" whatever. To me, once you say "I am" you are already being selfish, and ignoring the "them". Try telling that to a fundamentalist of any stripe though. Wooosshhhh....right over their heads.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:31 pm
Very Happy respect 2u Wink
i was paranoid for a moment you were a gentile hater Shocked
and i dont know what i am yet Wink
the jurys still out on it
im hoping to find out one day Smile

i tried sticking it up em too but that didnt work either really
just gotta let everyone get on with it and i hope some day soon we will all work it out...life that is Smile
people like drama and a cause to fight for it gives them a sense of being
especially religious stuff
ok no more
my heads stating to ache with lots of philosophicals things i could say here but im going to keep it shut

thanks for sharing the info on your life man
i always love life stories
each one is unique Smile
and all equally interesting Wink

peace and love Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
Smile Thanks Col Man. In this virtual world, I suspect I come off as a conundrum sometimes, as I like to take people to task for their personal crusades, play devil's advocate sometimes, but I'm really just a kind person who wants to help people out. Heck, I'm in the catering biz, my life revolves around making people happy. I may be a bad speller, but I couldn't possibly hate anyone who is gentle. Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:35 pm
what about those who are gentile?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
humour is a dish best served hot Wink

one world, one people........
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
or genteel gentiles. Sheeeeez. You know any?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:50 pm
yeah they do exist

in the boondocks Wink
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
I don't know if it's still true, but at UVA one of the requirements to obtain a PhD in Anthropology was German, the rationale being that many documents concerning the field were written in the German language. When several members of the department asked that German no longer be a requirement, One of the folks said, "We can't eliminate that as a requirement. It's needed to produce cultured gentlemen." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:04 pm
far out Smile ive never heard that said before Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:16 pm
As you Brits would say, "It's a load of old tosh."

I can't think of any road, street, thoroughfare, in Virginia or Florida that has a derogatory implication. Of course, many counties are named after American Indians as a tribute.

Near St. Augustine, there is a beautiful inlet called Matanzas, meaning massacre, in Spanish. The French were backed into the waters there and slaughtered. Name still stands today.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:49 pm
Example:

boondocks - Etymology: Tagalog 'bundok,' mountain
1: rough country filled with dense brush
2: a rural area: STICKS

I wonder if this is originally a Filipino word?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:53 pm
Letty, I was a 'Hoo but I never heard that quote. You sure it was uttered in the 20th century?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:59 pm
Well, I'll be damned. You went to UVA? Shocked

Panz, buddy. Maybe you didn't hear it cause you warn't gittin your PhD in Anthropology. Neither was I, but my sister taught herself German to get that sheepskin.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:14 pm
I sure wasn't gettin my PHD. I was playin bluegrass at the Mousetrap and the Library. Oh, and racing slot cars in the dark, trippin on acid, safe in the dorm room.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:21 pm
Oh, my goodness. Decadent, decadent youth. Razz
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:22 pm
Wasted on the young Letty. Trust me!
0 Replies