German Universities Stamp Out Anti-Semitism.

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 02:49 pm
Does anyone buy ut-Tahrir's statement, "we are not against Jews ot Christians?"
What do you think of the action taken against the group? What would you think if the Bush admin. shut down similar groups at our Universities?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,797 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 02:52 pm
"German Universities Breeding Ground For Anti-Semitism."

You got this knowledge from what source?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:00 pm
MSNBC.

I was looking through the International News on my Homepage, and was really surprised to see this--and more surprised that it wasn't reported in any of my American papers.

I thought it was important, carried some interesting issues and wanted feedback.

Had you heard of this event?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:05 pm
Well, Lash, I actually was asking about your title to this thread "German universities breeding ground for anti-semitism".

It's in the news here since it has happened:
" Germany bans Islamist group

Using recently tightened law, German Interior Minister Otto Schily has banned a further Islamic group called Hizb ut-Tahrir as police raided 25 buildings linked to the group across Germany. From Britain, a Hizb spokesman, Imran Waheed, denied that the group was extremist. Schily said the group had been active on German university campuses, using "very anti-Semitic" language against Israel. His ministry added that a Hizb rally at Berlin's Technical University last October was attended by members of Germany's far-right. Hizb ut-Tahrir was founded in Jordan in the 1950s. It's the third group banned in Germany since the September 11th attacks. " (DW-world.de)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:10 pm
Last year's figures for the USA:

"The findings in brief … Strongly anti-Semitic:
17% of Americans
35% of Hispanics
44% of foreign-born Hispanics
20% of Hispanic Americans born in U.S.
35% of African-Americans
3% of U.S. college and university students "

(source: Anti-Semitism on the Rise in America
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:10 pm
I read the article, and the title I chose is what I gleaned as the basic gist.

The article pointed to wide-spread promotion on campuses in Germany of radical Islam, and hate speech against Jews.

Do you think my encapsulation of the article, and resulting title are an issue?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:12 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Last year's figures for the USA:

"The findings in brief … Strongly anti-Semitic:
17% of Americans
35% of Hispanics
44% of foreign-born Hispanics
20% of Hispanic Americans born in U.S.
35% of African-Americans
3% of U.S. college and university students "

(source: Anti-Semitism on the Rise in America

Walter? What's up? I was talking about an article written by MSNBC. Why did you bring up anti-Semitism is America? It certainly would be an interesting subject, but this thread is about the article.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:16 pm
Actually, I can't get that and where the article points "to wide-spread promotion on campuses in Germany of radical Islam, and hate speech against Jews". It speaks about the activities of this islamistic society and the meeting in Berlin. There was a video about this in the various news shows.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:18 pm
I'm bringing this up because I'm strongly opposed to that German universities were a breeding ground for anti-semitism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:42 pm
"Twenty five people, including three Britons, are currently on trial in Cairo accused of trying to overthrow the Egyptian government and of spreading propaganda for the Hizb ut-Tahrir, which is banned in Egypt but not in Britain." (source: ha'aretz.com)
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:47 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm bringing this up because I'm strongly opposed to that German universities were a breeding ground for anti-semitism.

I'll change it. What would you title the thread?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:51 pm
Well, you may change it to whatever you think is appropriate or just leave it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 03:52 pm
How about "German Universities Stamp out Anti-Semitism"?

Really, Lash, the title is not at all descriptive of the content.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

CLARIFICATION: I never in my wildest imagination thought this thread or title would be offensive. I thought the German government's response was perfect. I was thinking the major issue was how many events had occurred that merited the German gov's response, and what people thought the response would be here, if our admin. did the same thing. And, why haven't we heard about it in our press?

This could've happened in any country. The fact that it was Germany was a variable, to me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2003 04:20 pm
Thanks, Lash Goth.
0 Replies

fancytickler

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:58 am
Most reasonable people are against bigotry, including anti-Semitism, in many countries, including Germany. But although the German government has done very much to eliminate this, that alone does NOT mean that anti-Semitism does not exist in Germany.

Especially since Germany has many foreign students and workers, who harbor all sorts of beliefs.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:35 am
I would really worry if governments could control the beliefs of citizens and all others in their country, wouldn't you.

'Bout time you got on the boards, FT. Welcome
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:46 am
Governments cannot control peoples' beliefs (and they should not), but they can efficiently control and curb propaganda of hatred. And the German government is one of the most consistent and efficient in Europe in this aspect.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:50 am
About universities: the situation is much more complicated. Some professors of Arab origin sometimes abuse academic freedoms in order to propagate hatred and bigotry. Activities of one of the accomplices of al-Arian, the former Middle East studies professor from the USF (forgot his name), are the best example. If he was not involved in sponsoring terror, he could have continued spreading hatred for years without being arrested and even fired.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 02:50 am
Actually, anti-semitism here in Germany is practised (mostly/ exclusivly) by Germans, not by foreigners.

steissd

I'm acquainted with academic life. The only known anti-semitic propaganda was actually done by a professor (German, got a professorship as well in South Africa) at my former university: he later commited suicied.
0 Replies