Young Britons think Germany is uncool

Col Man

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
BERLIN (Reuters) - Attempts to persuade young Britons that Germany is cool have made little progress, and many still associate the country with Adolf Hitler, beer and football, a survey shows.

The Goethe Institute, which promotes German culture abroad, launched a campaign last year to promote Germany, using grooving ravers at Berlin's Love Parade and model Claudia Schiffer encouraging Britons to learn the language.

But a survey of young Germans and Britons by the institute and the British Council, which publicises British culture, showed it will take more than that to shift British prejudices.

Germans saw Britain as modern and multi-cultural but Britons labelled Germany "uncool", said the Goethe Institute's Klaus Krischok, attributing the contrast to cultural differences.

"Germany lacks the culture of celebrities that Britain has. The British are proud of their music and film stars, who promote the national image abroad, but Germany is associated with cars and beer, or at worst its Nazi past," Krischok said on Tuesday.

He blamed the British media for spreading stereotypes of football defeats and World War Two.

Only 22 percent of Britons surveyed spoke any German, but 97 percent of German participants knew English.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 764 • Replies: 10
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:02 pm
Antagonism between England and Germany is nothing new. The "uncool" image implies a children's or pop culture view dominating England versus the classical culture of Germany. It's only recently that England imported America's pop culture, which now may be dominating adult culture in England.

Though the young English may relate Germany to Naziism, there has been a turnaround; Germany is peaceful whereas England has joined America in an agressive war in the Middle East.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:20 pm
Quote:
British and German Kids Struggle with Clichés

A new British-German study carried out by two cultural organizations shows what kids from both countries think of each other, and it seems stereotypes still abound.

In Berlin on Thursday, the British Council and the German Goethe Institute presented a new study which looks at what young people in the UK and Germany think about each other's countries. The survey, conducted among people aged between 16 and 25, investigates to what extent outmoded, stereotypical thought is still current among the younger generations in both lands.

The study aims to provide insights into the perceptions and attitudes of Germans towards the UK and vice versa. Those polled were young people from the two countries, who were of particular interest for both the cultural institutions involved in the project.

Germans think UK is modern and multi-cultural

The study shows that of all the young Germans polled, over 50 percent have visited the UK. A whopping 97 percent have at least a basic knowledge of the English language. Britain is only second to the USA when it comes to being the most popular country for studies abroad. All in all, young Germans view the UK as a successful multi-cultural society which is modern and future-oriented.

Britain is also considered to be a country where important trends are set, for instance in the art and music scenes. It's not perceived as a country committed to the ideals of the European Union. On the other hand, only 37 percent of the young Britons polled have been to Germany.

Brit kids think "Krauts" are not trendy

Germany is not really a country they tend to think of in terms of studying there. It's not seen to be trendy, but most young Britons mention Germany's technological capabilities and its drive for perfection and precision, as, for instance, in the car industry.

The struggle against stereotypes is a hard one. Many young Britons still believe that Germans are not open-minded and - even worse - without any sense of humor. But according to the study, the overall rating of Germans among young Britons is slowly but surely improving. Or, as one of those polled put it: "The Krauts are okay!"
Source

Quote:
Kathryn Board Director of the British Council in Germany said:
"With the European Union soon to expand to as many as 27 countries, the opinions of the next generation of Europeans in two of the most important member states are of great significance. The mixed messages we are receiving show that the cultural relations work of the British Council and the Goethe Institute is needed now more than ever".

Ulrich Sacker, Director of the Goethe-Instituts London said:
"The survey shows more than half the young people in Britain are not properly informed about modern Germany and base their perceptions on the constant diet of war films and programmes about the Holocaust on television. It is a historical view and there is a lack of information and ignorance about contemporary Germany. By contrast, Germans like modern British culture."
Link to complete survey:
Tainted Love: Survey of UK/German youth reveals mutual mixed feelings

Quote:
Discipline, industriousness and a good education are the characteristics most Americans and Russians associate with Germans, according to a new survey commissioned by Deutsche Welle.

Source: Examining Germany's Image Abroad
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 09:12 am
Beer and football? I thought that was England...

A few years back I was in Greece for a stretch. I found myself alone in Corinth, so I hiked out to the ancient city early one morning and poked around before the hordes showed up. I was sitting and having a smoke outside some underground thing that was popular with the tourists. A German tour group poured out, marched past, talking quietly amongst themselves. Then it was peaceful again for a couple of minutes. Then a British tour group poured out, loudly talking to each other. As they shambled past me, one sunburned Briton in the group said to another one -- loudly, for the benefit of everyone else -- "F*cking Krauts, no wonder they lost the war." It was a charming moment.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 10:14 am
coluber2001 wrote:

Though the young English may relate Germany to Naziism, there has been a turnaround; Germany is peaceful whereas England has joined America in an agressive war in the Middle East.

Are you forgetting something? 9/11?????? HELLO? ANYBODY HOME? Oh, nevermind, the lights aren't even on....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:32 pm
I find Germany unshiftingly interesting, and I always have done. But many people, even in academia, still have prejudices against there; when I started studying it, I remember a teacher of another language having said 'nothing of any good comes out of a language with cases in it.' Well, it is truly their loss.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:49 pm
i think everyone and everything is interesting sister

a have a good friend who is german and a diving instructor in greece hes a sound guy, he taught me how to dive, typical man mind .. drinks beer smokes chases women... but he is a good guy nevertheless
and english and german mentality is very similar from what ive seen
when i was in argentina i learned spanish with a german guy called thomas from munich. he was a really sound guy with very gentle and friendly energy

but then later came these two germans who were very arrogant and just like the ss officers i have seen in the photos from the 40's,
they spoke harsh german and they were very full of hate and negativity
you could see their vibrations affected everyone badly
they created bad vibes for themselves
some of my english friends there were coming out with negatives about them using the k word
and there were these 2 israeli guys there
hahaha the israelis wouldnt even go near these germans they sat as far away as possible and left after 2 days ...you shud have seen the looks of horror on their faces....
but like ive said before they were not bad cos they were german they were bad cos they were bad persons...good n bad in all peoples all colours all religions.............
anyway i was interested to see how with these negative vibes people instantly associated it was because they were german.....

i think there are some cool places in germany that ive seen on the net
id love to go to the love parade in berlin and id love to visit the black forest
in fact i want to see all the world everywhere b4 i pop off Wink

http://www.elevator-world.com/magazine/archive01/9712-001.html-ssi
this is a floating train in germany that walter hintler pointed out to me in some thread somewhere
this place seems cool too

takes all sorts to make life what it is Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
Yes... saying that all Germans are 'Krauts' -- which is as impossible as it is offensive-- is like saying all English people... belong to Sgt. Pepper's lonely hearts band. Both are in the past-- so why should English carry on this? That's another thing that I dislike about the English mentality... grr. I wonder from where such instant prejudice comes?

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:02 pm
My brother-in-law is half German and was raised a bit over there, and spent time there with his kid when he was in the navy. He's also Jewish, and once upon a time wore a star of David around his neck. He's got a story about being in a restaurant when he was about 20 (so around 1980) in Heidelberg where a table of old guys were whooping it up and singing nationalistic songs at a long table in the back. He gets up to go take a leak, and one of the guys -- a big guy -- goes into the bathroom after him. They're both pissing at the trough when the old guy looks over at him, then smiles -- then looks at his neck and stops smiling -- and then looks further down to check out the circumcision. Bro-in-law finishes as fast as he can and goes back into the restaurant. Shortly after the old guy comes out a hush descends over the table of old guys. Bro-in-law tells his people (his mother and aunt and some of their friends) about the little bathroom experience, and they just say, "Oh, they're a bunch of old nazis who get together to relive their glory days."

Creepy. But, then, some of the stories bro-in-law's stepfather -- a 75-year-old black ex-cop -- has to tell are pretty damn creepy, too.

Not sure what any of it has to do with Brit kids think of Germany. I kind of doubt it's really about the holocaust. As a Yank, I find the music that pours out of German clubs pretty damn awful...
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
thanks patiodog that was a really good story

respect 2u

well drom having been brought up in england and 'conditioned' here i believe this prejudice comes from our media and our parents
and plus i see in the psyche of the english the 'island mentality' pattern where you regard anyone who isnt from your 'island' with negativity

i must sadly confess as a youth i was very racist and prejudiced and full of hate but thankfully as i grew up and questioned and learned about the world i saw thru all this madness inside of me
and now, most of the people i used to have a prejudice against, like anyone not white or english, i get on with just fine
now in fact i have a better time with non-english than i do with english people who i find mostly small minded opinionated and negative but like i say its not their fault its the propaganda, the media
i think all these people with prejudice should try living in say 5 other countries for some time instead of just going there on holiday
then they will see we are all the same to some degree
dont matter what skin u wear n what language you speak
i dont like the fact i am considered english
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
you know really people what i see is that all this negativity comes from separation and isolation
say you cant hate your own children or your family for example so if you saw all people as your own then how could you hate them?
i see negativity as self forfilling and thus is hell
if you hate you beome it and them your lost in it
the opposite is true with love the more you be it the more you become i
t
ive seen now several times here on a2k when ive had to stop myself from having a go at somebody
i think 'no they are entitled to feel that way its not my place to say wether they are wrong or right i dont know whats happened to them to bring them to that'
anyway i could go on but i wont
i feel im going round and round
0 Replies