DVD Recorders & DVRs

treyba

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
I am new to this technology. I do not have a satellite system yet but I am planning to sign up in the near future. I was wondering, Does any DVR with a PC Card input work with satellite systems? Are there certain brands that are exclusively compatible with Direct TV or Dish Network? I am looking at the Panasonic DMR-E100 and wondering if will it work with either one of the Satellite systems out there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,072 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 07:57 am
The model you list isn't designed to operate with a satellite system. If you look at the specs on tehir WWW site it says "To use this function, your DVD recorder must be connected to a TV antenna and able to receive a terrestrial broadcast that includes EPG data in the transmission. VCR Plus+ will not be available unless the DVD recorder has retrieved EPG program listings."

You can probably still use it but you wouldn't have a programing guide function with it (it's programming guide won't work 100% with cable systems either).

If you are planning on going with a satellite system I think TIVO has a DirectTV box with a DVR built in. You might want to check it's features and capabilities.
0 Replies

treyba

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 11:58 am
Whose website were you referring to, Panasonic orDish Network?

While I am looking for a DVD recorder, what feature would be listed that would enable me to receive this terrestrial EPG signals.

I would like to go with Direct TV but they do not offer local channels in my area yet.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 12:34 pm
Panasonic's WWW site. It's listed as "Note 4" for the "TV Guide On ScreenTM Program Guide".

I just looked at The Dish Network's WWW site and they have several DVRs but none with a DVD recorder built in.
0 Replies