You Know that We Are FUCKED as a Nation When.....

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 10:53 am
Washington is planning on draining the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to pay bills. When the price of oil is especially low.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,760 • Replies: 47

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:04 pm
Tell your asshole Teapublican Congress to pass a ******* budget.
engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
One that actually raises enough in taxes to meet expenses.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:15 pm
@engineer,
Absolutely. Let those who've actually benefited from this verkachtede economy pay for it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:18 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

One that actually raises enough in taxes to meet expenses.

Considering that we are running 1/3 short that is not doable in our broken Washington.

Selling off this oil is especially short sited and stupid. It would be almost like a farmer selling some of his seed corn to to pay .1% of one months mortgage. The oil reserve is for energy rainy days, it is not for raising money. The fact that the US is producing more does not mean that we should sell 8% of what we have stored, the more we have stored the better. You never know when the problems in the Mid East will get bad enough to stop the super tanker convoy.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Why not? We've payed down a Trillion dollars in foreign debt. All the corporations are fatter than ever. Tax them. They benefited from the wars, let them pay Reagan levels of taxes - 38% no exceptions.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:34 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Why not? We've payed down a Trillion dollars in foreign debt. All the corporations are fatter than ever. Tax them. They benefited from the wars, let them pay Reagan levels of taxes - 38% no exceptions.

I did not make any argument about how to make the numbers work, to do that we can raise more money and/or spend less, and we almost certainly need to do both (that both the D's and the R's might be right is inconceivable to most of America of course, I blame the education system for the vast stupidity of the American people) ....I am saying that selling this oil is very dumb, that it goes to show that Washington is broken and not looking after the nations business.

Do you have anything to say on topic?
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
we need to actually FIX the reserve 's storage facilities and selling off the petro in those carriers (including miles of RR tanks) is smart. We are in a time of oil and gas glut and we can fix the storage, keep oil guys working and keep from FLARING the goddam gas that comes off the wells. It aint that e cant refill the new storage facilities. They were going to build these frozen side soil facilities , I dont know what happened to that.

PS, replacing the oil would be about22 days of pumping

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
Is there some great tech or expense problem with storing Liquefied gas? Or with using it?
farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
well, the tech problem is gettin all the oil to the salt storage facilities and pray they keep without crunching (We have a drawdown maximum poersite so that we can only pump out about 1.5 million gal/day without causing any problems in the salt domes.
We also have a single unit train storage facility in La somewhere for quick response (I dont think were gonna presss that to sell because it can be refined to avgas and diesel really quick

I was down at the Weeks site in93 (or 94 I fergit) when that bigass sinkhole swallowed part of the reserve in Iberia Parish and sent it back into the salt. We now dissolve the salt domes and increase the size of the storage . I know, from talking with folks who are around that area of the industry, that we want better storage sites and one of them is about 70+ million barrels and that ione needs some fixing up.
Remember, we sold a bunch right after Katrina (after Bush left) to help with the cleanup and new levees and such as well as some of the work in Alabama and Miss.

Im no expoert but I think a swap to sell it off as opposed to just leak it off to domestic use (which would take a long time).

Oils fungable but its nobody" s fault that we are so good at finding oil that weve kicked the Hubbert("peak oil") Equation in the ass.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:20 pm
@farmerman,
I heard that the stored oil is hard to refine, it is not "Sweet", and few refineries can deal with it. THis seems really dumb. Is there a reason this happened?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:22 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im no expoert but I think a swap to sell it off as opposed to just leak it off to domestic use (which would take a long time).

Ya, that has happened before due to transit problems and lack of available US refineries .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
its not impossible its just salty.
Your question about Liquified Nat gas is that the storage requires pressure and it cant be handled as regular petroleum.
LPG is made by reacting the methane and ethane from offgassing . We get a lot of "wet gas" in Pa and its a great plastic feedstock.

LPG has higher btu values per unit
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:34 pm
I like to think that I am up on goings on but somehow I missed that this subject of selling oil now has been on the table for awhile. A really good piece here:

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/08/18/is-it-finally-time-to-sell-oil-from-the-strategic-petroleum-reserve

Quote:
The rules governing the sale and distribution of crude oil from the SPR, however, do not actually allow for such a sale. The crude oil in the SPR is only to be sold and distributed in response to a significant interruption in the flow of crude oil. The intent is to avoid a severe domestic fuel price increase in response to such an interruption.

According to its mandate, the SPR is not to be used to attempt to manipulate prices. It is meant to meet emergency supply shortfalls.

The currently proposed sale does not seem to meet these requirements. Rather, it appears to be a political decision to avoid the need to cut expenditures in other programs or to raise new revenues, perhaps through an increase in the federal fuel tax, to meet the needs of the highway trust fund. Indeed, historically it is the federal fuel tax that has provided the revenue support mechanism for the federal highway trust fund.

Good point. How can these assholes in Washington just decide to do this on their own without a national debate? Always the easy road for them regardless of what the little people think, regardless of what is good for America.

I am really pissed now. That ******* hell hole Washington is getting worse not better. And this is after we sent Obama to clean house, but through some combination of laziness/stupidity/incompetence/that prick just flat out lied to us on his part it never happened. Actually to me it looks like he barely tried, this is the big reason why I am pissed at him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hey dip ****, I was answering your stupid question. Why did you pull me off topic with your dumb question, sparky.

Man are you dumb!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 02:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Would you please move along? The adults are trying to talk. This subject just got real interesting to me and I dont have time for rug rats right now.

Thanks
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Good point. How can these assholes in Washington just decide to do this on their own without a national debate?

Because that is what a representative government does. The "little people" elect representatives who are supposed to study the issues and represent their districts. We hire them to do it on their own without a national debate. The debate is the election.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:15 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Good point. How can these assholes in Washington just decide to do this on their own without a national debate?

Because that is what a representative government does. The "little people" elect representatives who are supposed to study the issues and represent their districts. We hire them to do it on their own without a national debate. The debate is the election.

After they take our direction. They need to at least ask the nation the question and listen to what we have to day. I elected representatives not an oligarchy.
roger

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Washington is planning on draining the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to pay bills. When the price of oil is especially low.

Buy high; sell low. What could possibly be wrong with that?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2015 03:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Buy high; sell low. What could possibly be wrong with that?

And we pay to pump it in and we pay to pump it out and we pay to watch it. These motherfuckers in Washington really piss me off. Can you tell?

VOTE TRUMP!!

1. Forums
  2. » You Know that We Are FUCKED as a Nation When.....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 01:53:47