Musical Thai elephants go for gold with second CD

Col Man

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:59 am
BANGKOK, (AFP) - Not satisfied with healthy sales in the United States from their first CD, Thailand's Elephant Orchestra has gone back to the recording studio to turn out more jumbo hits.

The "improvised jazz" created by the new, enlarged line-up of 12 jamming pachyderms -- the original band only had five -- is currently being mixed in New York ahead of its release early next month, said Richard Lair of Thailand's Elephant Conservation Centre.

Instruments including an oversize xylophone, gong and harmonicas are played by the band which includes star musicians Chapati, a male, on bass and Prathida, a female, on drums.

"Chapati on the bass has an incredibly delicate touch as does the drummer on her oversized temple drums and western cymbals," said Lair.

Lair said the highlight of the new CD -- aimed at raising funds for an elephant care program -- was a jumbo jam with 60 schoolchildren providing a novel version of Beethoven's 6th Symphony.

"The last CD sold about 7,000 copies in the United States and this time we will be distributing it in the US, the UK and Australia," Lair told AFP.

Despite their growing international reputation, Lair said Thai fans would have to order the new CD over the internet until a local distribution deal could be stitched up for the largest act on the Thai music scene.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 341 • Replies: 2
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:04 am
Laughing Where do you find this ****? Sadly, I'd probably buy the CD. Chapati...heh heh...I've cooked those. Get 'em off the grill fast or you're eating shoe leather, or elephant skin.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 05:33 am
hi cav Smile and good norning to you Smile

i find this **** mostly in the offbeat news and strange news sections of yahoo news website, sky news website, cnn website and the reuters website

hmm i know what you mean about chapaties you wanna try eating one the morning after the curry...

Smile and there are some funny names in this world Smile

have fun man Smile

peace and love Smile

ps love the nice n cheesy music and your website Wink
0 Replies