Woman Fights Alligator - And Lives

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:49 am
WOMAN FIGHTS OFF GATOR

A woman fought a 10-minute battle with an alligator at a Florida tourist resort but escaped with arm and leg injuries.

Local television said the unidentified woman was attacked by the alligator while landscaping.

The incident happened on Sanibel Island, off Florida's Gulf Coast, around 180 miles from Miami.

She fought it for 10 minutes before escaping.

"It was like a tug-of-war almost," said a man who helped the woman.

Wildlife experts say attacks by alligators are rare as they tend to shy away from humans.

Saltwater crocodiles are considered far more aggressive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 597 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:07 am
Col, She has since died from infection. What a shame.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:43 am
the horror Confused so much for modern medicine Shocked
she mustve been more badly wounded than it makes out....
or r u kidding me?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
No,no, Col. I don't kid about things like that. Let me see if I can find an update.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:14 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5486601/
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
the horror Shocked i didnt realise it was that bad Confused
from the yahoo news i got this story from it made it sound like she had fought it off like tarzan in the movies and only suffered like minor cuts Confused
thanks letty and thx for the pm.... i never had one of them b4 or again for that matter Wink
c u around Cool
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:24 am
it amazes me that the police shot the alligator in the head only after the incident....and not while it was busily chomping the poor woman Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:33 am
You're welcome, my young friend. I think without reading my own link, that good samaritans got her away from the gator, and police subsequently shot the thing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
Oh, I see now. Her neighbor kept her from being dragged under, while the police got her away from the beast. I think, perhaps, they were just afraid to shoot the gator before rescuing her from its jaws.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
indeed... i understand now thinking of what alligators head look like
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:03 am
Col, I live on a golf course, and it has waterway traps. For four years, there was a twelve foot alligator that watched the golfers as they casually worked their way around him. He was finally relocated, however. Also, there is a small pond in back of my house, where one may see an alligator or two slink in and out. As the article noted, most alligators shy away from folks except during mating season. For a while, alligators were listed in Florida as an endangered species. I think they're making a big come back.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
far out Smile
i have never seen an alligator in real life
so is daytona beach in florida?
do they do something to do with racing cars there?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
Yes, Daytona Beach is in Florida. At one time all the spring break kids came to the "world's most famous beach." NASCAR is big time among many race enthusiasts (among whom I do NOT count myself).

If you're familiar with James Barrie's Peter Pan, you more than likely can appreciate the crocodile song from the film version. Crocodiles are very aggressive all the time, mating or no.
0 Replies