Big beauty wins Miss Chubby contest

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 08:20 am
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20040725/i/3770068209.jpg
Giovanna Guidoni stands on the weighing machine as she wins the 16th edition of Italy's Miss Cicciona contest (Italy's Miss Chubby) in Forcoli, central Italy, July 24, 2004. The chubby contest takes place every year in this Tuscan town near Pisa, gathering fat people from all over Italy. According to the main rule, women participants have to weigh at least 100 kg (220lbs) while men at least 150 kg (330lbs). REUTERS/Alessia Pierdomenico

FORCOLI, Italy (Reuters) - Weighing in at 189 kg (416 lb), Giovanna Guidoni, is not your average beauty contest winner. But then again, Italy's annual Miss Cicciona competition is not your average beauty contest.

To compete in Miss Cicciona, which roughly translates as Miss Chubby, women have to weigh more than 100 kg. Men hoping to walk off with the title of Mr Ciccione have to be at least 150 kg. This year, 40 women and five men vied for the title.

"The idea isn't to make fun," said Gianfranco Lazzereschi, one of the organisers of the festival held in the Tuscan town of Forcoli. "We wanted to show that the media image of perfection -- being stick-thin -- isn't the only way to get recognised."

The 20-year-old Guidoni crushed the competition.

"Last year I came in second, but this year I was the heaviest contestant," she said.

The secret of her success? Guidoni is part-owner of a restaurant, organisers said.

The winner of Mr Ciccione, Fabio Teseo, saw off the competition after tipping the scales at 206 kg.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,044 • Replies: 21
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:29 pm
I don't think she's pretty. The other contestants must have been hideously ugly.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 12:43 pm
I find it awful, that they're awarding prizes for obesity. I thought that the woman in question looked about 40, and all that for some very fleeting and questionable 'fame.'

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
BBB
bookmark
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:11 pm
i find it crazy too Confused
oh what a world Exclamation
what have we come to <sighs>
what happened to love Sad

erm can someone please tell me why people keep saying 'bookmark'? ive seen it a few times now
in what context do they mean this?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
hmm i only weigh 85 kilos and im 188cm(6ft2) guess that counts me out of things like this Wink
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
bookmark
People post "bookmark" or "BM" to bring this thread under their list of posts under the upper left corner of your screen---so they can easily find it again when they want to reply or follow. This is usually done when you don't have time to respond immediately but want to later.

BBB
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:01 pm
ok Smile thanks BBB Smile
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:08 pm
PC Sticks and Stones
I will try to edit my 1991 poem so it doesn't violate A2K's TOS again.

STICKS AND STONES
By BumbleBeeBoogie
May 6, 1991

Hey, n-----r!
Yo, h----y!

STICKS AND STONES

Lazy d----s!
or
greasy s--c w------s!

MAY BREAK MY BONES

What about k---s, c----s or g----s?
Or, even more timely,
r-g h----s and c----l d-----s!

BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT ME.

Even liberals,
the hated liberals.

And q----s,
don't forget the q----s!

What is a fustaluge*?

The person it's still socially acceptable
to malign. Even the most thoughtful,
otherwise sensitive people call fat persons
Fatso or blimp.
Even a comic strip with a fat broad.

HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT THAT?

Hey, jumbo,
if it's jelly it must shake like that!
Move over, tubby,
get your fat ass out of my way.

HAVE YOU EVER SAID THAT?

Literature demeans someone
as evil or grotesque,
not by describing them as thin,
but nearly always an evil fat slob
with fat lips,
fat fingers,
greasy fat oozing evil and degradation.

Don't you know any neat,
nice fat people in this world?

NAMES HURT.
ALL NAMES HURT!
STICKS AND STONES.

* Fustaluge is an archaic term for a grossly obese person
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
far out Smile

that reminds me of a jewish saying

you can forget a blow
but not a word

and this always struck me(pardon the pun)
cos it was the opposite of the stick n stones saying
and it made me think
Wink
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
Wise words, BBB, and a great poem. Names do hurt, and yet-- for some unbeknownst reason-- we are taught to accept them with a half-neat little saying.

I found the whole contest, and her endangering her health for it, degrading to her and to the other competitors. I am rather scrawny -- 46 kg and 5'7''-- but that shouldn't reflect on my character; neither should being 146 kg. Putting on such weight to be gawped at as an oddity is very triste, 'though; I can't not admit that.

0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:21 am
There are heavy people in the world. There just are, that's just the way the world is. I think that, in a sort of twisted way this beauty pageant is not so bad. It's okay to have a Miss blah blah pageant why? because all those girls are beautifully thin?? Fat chicks can't have a contest of their own? Excuse me. If someone is overweight, while it would be preferable health wise for them to slim down, if they're happy with their size - let them participate in the same sorts of contests as the skinny minnies. We're all shocked and aghast at this contest - why is that?

Drom - I didn't read that she put on weight specifiically to win this contest...wht I read is that she didn't win last year, but this year she won because she was in fact the heaviest. I'd think (though I don't know this for sure) that these women & men weigh in at a certain weight and there starts the contest.

If she wins miss chubby - and she's no intention of slimming down - more power to her, him, all of them. I'm not saying reward them for packing on the pounds, but certainly don't disallow them any contest based on their body types when the same contests are allowed and even praised and highly watched based on the bodytypes of other people. In fact, why hasn't there ever been a chunky Ms. America??? Miss Universe??? In the "beauty" area of these popular contests, do the fat chicks have a chance or is thinness considered when considering "beauty"..has it ever been a concern? Has a heavy woman ever even been encouraged to enter these contests?

hmph
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
I am against all and every beauty pagent, but, in a world filled with contest this and contest that, there should be a contest that empowers heavier people, not makes them into insensitive freakshows. Forget fat, small, Japanese or Jewish beauty contests. I would like, one day, for there to be a contest that judges people for who they are inside. That's the greatest sort of beauty in the world.

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:45 am
well said drom Smile respect 2u Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 08:56 am
I certainly agree that fat people get a pretty shitty deal.....but these people came around voluntarily to be fat in a contest.....let 'em have their fun I say.....

also, in other countries being obese may not be the mortal sin that it is in the United States Of Anorexia.....I work hard to stay thin, but it's for health reasons......if I woke up tomorrow and was fat I'd still be stunningly good looking....just more so.... that's how fat people should view themselves more of 'em than others...more beauty than others......
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:02 am
i like the way you think BPB Wink

yeah i remember that in ancient china it used to be a great honour and ambition to be fat... cos it meant you were wealthy and succesful and content
look at all the fat buddha statues
and also i remember in ye olde england the men used to all desire a plump woman cos it meant she was fertile and good for child beaqring whereas all the skinny ones wernt up to it or so they thought
i think at the moment there just some cultural fad thing that thin is good
im thin and good looking and muscular too but im not a gorilla Wink
yeah man and its their lives if they want to be big let em Smile
enjoy it i say lifes to short Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Respect to you, Col, and to BPB and all of us here. BPB is quite right about obesity abroad; there should not be one expected figure. You are what you get, so be proud of it. If we all accepted 'each to their own' instead of just saying it, things would change for the better.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:40 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
also, in other countries being obese may not be the mortal sin that it is in the United States Of Anorexia

Hmm ... I think I read a couple of times that obesity is in fact far more prevalent in America than it is elsewhere ... so it seems that the "United States Of Anorexia" are a bit schizophrenic about it. Accepted less but practiced more?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
nimh wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
also, in other countries being obese may not be the mortal sin that it is in the United States Of Anorexia

Hmm ... I think I read a couple of times that obesity is in fact far more prevalent in America than it is elsewhere ... so it seems that the "United States Of Anorexia" are a bit schizophrenic about it. Accepted less but practiced more?

United Schizophrenics Of America...that's us.....why? what's it to you....back up....stop looking at me.....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
One doesn't have to return to the days of Ancient China or Merry Olde England to find an appreciation for what we now consider "plump" figures. In America, "well-rounded" was the fashion until the flappers came along in the 1920s with their taped-down bosoms and slim-hipped, boyish figures. That's less than 100 years.

Interestingly, that's about the same time that tans became fashionable, too. Before that, tanned skin indicated manual labor. Only the upper class could afford to stay indoors and nurture their prized pale complexions.

(I was born in the wrong century, I tell ya...)
0 Replies