Koch Brothers

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 10:48 am
When it comes to senatorial, congressional, governor, and presidential races the Koch brothers appear to always throw their money support to republican candidates. Are the Koch brothers known for throwing their money support to Dems? If not, why don't the Koch brothers throw their money support to Dems?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,119 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 10:56 am
@Real Music,
Simple answer ...no! Mainly, because they're Republicans who are contributors to Libertarian and Republican candidates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers

Furthermore, David H. Koch was the Libertarian Party's vice-presidential candidate in 1980. Their political philosophy is centered around free market principles.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 11:52 am
@Ragman,
The reason I ask this question is because some A2K members claim that there is no difference between the two parties. If there is no difference between the dems and republicans, like some A2K members have suggested, why don't the Koch brothers throw their money support to the Dems.? Does the Koch brothers not like where the dems stand on any particular issue? Does one party help the Koch brothers become more richer than the other party? I am just trying to figure out why some A2K members are claiming that both parties are equally bad when it comes to money in politics. It seems like the Koch brothers don't think that both political parties are the same. So, why do some A2K members believe that both political parties are the same? I personally was under the impression that money influence on the republican side was much worse than it is on the dems side. Then again, I might be completely wrong.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:11 pm
@Real Music,
There is a big difference in the parties. Do you not have any sense of history or haven't you researched it for yourself? Why is it you think the Republicans have tried to obstruct Obama's administration every step of the way..regarding budget issues?

If someone is being critical of both parties and says that both parties are ineffective and neither side is fiscally responsible and has any workable long-term financial solutions, I would agree. But for someone to say that both parties are the same is either a misconception, misstatement or grossly inaccurate and they would have no clue about the political scene in current day USA.

Let's just say that hypothetically there was an iota of truth to that statement, it's certain that the Koch brothers believe there is a difference; hence, they donate their millions in campaign contributions in support of Republicans and Libertarian Party candidates.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:29 pm
@Ragman,
I agree with you 100 percent. There is a huge difference between both parties. Based on where they throw their money, the Koch brothers obviously think there is a big difference between the two parties. Why some A2k members believe that the dems are equally as bad as the repulicans regarding big money influences, completely baffles me.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:36 pm
@Real Music,
You will need to clarify what you mean by big money influences. Both parties are swayed by big campaign contributors as well as PAC groups.

However, that being said, do I personally think that Republicans have more billionaires tossing multi-millions around than Dems? Most definitely, but there are some major heavy-hitters Dems tossing millions around to Democrats campaigns, too.

Campaign contribution reform can't come quickly enough.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 12:59 pm
@Ragman,
WHEN BIG MONEY DONERS WANT A LAW ENACTED OR DEFEATED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING THEMSELVES MORE WEALTHIER. That is what I am referring to when I am talking about big money influences. Whether money is donated to candidates, parties, PAC groups, or any other entity. I believe that republicans has way more of that type of big money influences than the dems.
Ragman

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 01:27 pm
@Real Music,
I see no clear proof of that. However, If I were guessing, I'd speculate there are more millionaires and billionaires throwing their money at the Republican party than Democrats tossing it at the Dems, but it's just a guess on my part.
Real Music

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 01:43 pm
@Ragman,
When it comes to any money that flows into our political systems, the intent of the money is almost always a guest. It's no difference than circumstantial evidence in a criminal case. There is no smoking gun or direct evidence. No one is going to have press conference and verbally state that I am donating 10 million dollars to this candidate or this party because they are voting on a specific law that is gong to make me billions of dollars. You are never going to get that smoking gun kind of evidence. Reasonable people can make reasonable guesses based on who the money is coming from and what law or laws will more greatly benefit that doner financially.
0 Replies