GPS Units ....Are these ok for general use ?

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:58 am
Hello, I have been using my garmin 12 channel for 3 years now and it works fine and I have had no problems but I wanted to get a new one and I have found 7 or 8 I like ....they are all at one site but I just am not sure if I shoudl go all out or just get the same kind of thing with upgraded maps in it...these guys have one that can be updated from you pc and comes with software but I don't know how they work. Shocked

If anyone with any GPS experiance out can look at these ones for me and let me know what would be a good choice that would be great Smile They are located at Edit (Moderator): link removed on the products gps page.

I will look here for any returns or help that can be provided :wink:

Thanks for your help
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,089 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:52 am
I'd suggest you chase down reviews of the products in which you are interested. Personally, I have a couple Garmin products; a handheld E-Trex Legend and a Street Pilot which is mounted in my truck. Both are updateable both as regards firmware and software. The Legend has a relatively low data capcity, and does not accommodate removeable memory media, but for the applications to which I put the unit, those are not significant flaws; I simply load the appropriate mapset into the unit from a computer, and I'm good to go. Alternatively, the unit can be interfaced with a laptop or PDA into which as much map data as may be desired has been loaded. The Street Pilot has a larger, multichrome display, offers voice prompts for various functions including turn-by-turn navigation, waypoint arrival notification, and off-route warnings. The Street Pilot employs proprietary removeable flash media available from the manufacturer in a variety of storage capacities, as well as being also capable of being interfaced with a computer, as is the Legend, for updating, to utilize a larger mapset than the unit itself can accommodate, or for a larger real-time navigation or trip-planning display. Both units will interface with and control a 'puter or PDA loaded with GPS-enabled software from just about any publisher. I don't propose that either unit I own and mention might necessarilly be best for you, I note merely I find both, in their respective applications, adequate to my needs. Your mileage may vary.
0 Replies