Appearance at Funeral

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 07:56 am
This is a true story, told to me by my girlfriend.

Seems that she was at a funeral, of a man who was 75 years old. She was amazed at what the Funeral Home had done to his appearance. She said that he looked wonderful, no more than 45. She was commenting on this to a relative who was standing with her near the casket.

The relative turned to my friend and said,

"You know, he looks so good. Maybe we can get the funeral director to start working on US now!" Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,787 • Replies: 14
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:26 am
LOL Phoenix!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 09:29 am
Good post!
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 03:08 pm
Phoe:

Have you ever seen "Death Becomes Her"? Starring Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn, and Bruce Willis??

If you liked the joke, you'de love this movie!!

Anon
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Jan, 2003 03:13 pm
Anon- No, I haven't seen the movie, but I will check it out. Thanks!
0 Replies

celticclover

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:19 am
My grandmother, leading up to her death 6 weeks after being diagnosed with cancer, looked awful, as did my uncle who died of the same disease.
It was quite impressive that when it came time to view the bodies at the seperate times of their demise - they looked like they did 20 years ago.

Ah isnt it cruel, you die looking shocking only to exit in a box looking absolutely fabulous. Makes you wonder whats in the embalming oils they use.........
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:51 am
I know that the practice of making a 75 yo corpse look like a 45 yo sleeper, has a lot to do with our society's denial of death. I am ambivalent as to whether gussying up a dead body is a good thing.

On one hand, to me, one of the main purposes of a funeral is to provide closure for the living friends and relatives of the dead person. Uncle Joe is dead, let's talk about what he meant to us, and then let's go on with our lives.

If Uncle Joe was seventy five, with a face like a road map, is it not artificial to see him for the last time looking like a 45 yo dandy? I am not saying that the body should not be fixed up a little.

If the ravages of disease has made Uncle Joe look really bad, a little fixup is probably in order, so as not to intimidate the relatives. But I am not so sure that changing the whole "look" of a corpse to the extent that some funeral homes go is such a good thing.

What do you all think?
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:16 am
Phoe:

I agree ! JayBea's Mom was killed in a head on car crash in 2001. Took a real bad head shot. She needed some fixup, but still came out looking like Mom, not a rock star.

I don't mean to be a pest, but you really need to get "Death Becomes Her". It is soooo on-thread, and you'll have a hard time staying in your seat. I gave myself a headache laughing!!

Anon
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 02:50 pm
A very humorous story, Phoenix!

At funerals, I remain in my seat when others file by to pay their last respects, a practice criticized by my in-laws, but I'd rather remember folks as they were in life. The image I've retained of my father is of his face in the casket, looking like a wax image of his younger self.

My husband had been looking after his aunt's affairs when she passed away last summer. The funeral home asked him for a favourite recent photograph of her, and I understand that her appearance was much like the photograph. The family was pleased.

My mother, a very private person, requested that she not be viewed after death. I am so-inclined myself when my time comes.
0 Replies

Anonymous

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 04:32 pm
McKenzie:

You're no fun! How are we going to draw a mustache on you if you aren't viewed?

Anon
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:00 pm
Cute, Anon, very cute! Smile
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 05:27 pm
I also bellieve that a lot of that 20 years younger stuff is death itself. No more worries, frustrations, aches, pains, or bills!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:37 pm
About 20 years ago, I lived with a guy who trained as a mortician. He was always offering to help me with my make-up.

errrrrrrrrrrr, nooooooooooooooooo!
0 Replies

celticclover

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:44 pm
I agree BillW, the strains of life arent there anymore.
My Nana had a tough time fighting cancer, so seeing her in peace means alot. I think Id prefer her looking like the spring chicken her personality reflected her to be than seeing her face still lined with pain and tiredness.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 07:54 pm
Since my father died I have had a real problem with funerals. Just getting through it was devistating for me. Since then I have decided to be cremated. I guess I'm just extremely sensative and can't deal with seeing the dead body of a loved one :-(
0 Replies