Gender Identity

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 11:06 am
I would really love somebody's help! I am a girl im 19 going on 20. Only recently in the past few months have i been paranoid abouty gender identity. I had been watching things about Caitlyn Jenner over the summer. And througb my curiositties about if i was a boy started to scare me and made me think maybe i am transgender. I feel very out of myself right now. Like im lost. As a child i was very girly, and always by my own choice. It was not forced. I loved lip gloss. I loved dresses. I never like sports or playing outside. I love love love dancing. And i was also very boy crazy. But all of a sudden as im trying to find myself, i don't want to say i dont like these things anymore but i am very curious about what is on the other side. Possibly being a boy never ever crossed my mind until i watched Caitlyns story and honestly being transgender is something i don't feel like i can handle. It would be cool to be a boy. I think boys are very cool. I dk wonder what it is like to have make genitals, or act like a boy or even have facial hair. And i am extremely hairy was always very self conscious and annoyed by the hair on my face and because i have these paranoid thoughts of wanting to be a male i almost feel i am diving myself crazy because of my tomboyish tendencies and almost makong myself feel as if this is something i may want to do. But that is so scary. I want this to go away. Like how can i change so much from one mental state to another. I loved being a girl growing up. And i don't dislike it now. I didnt have body dysphoria just a wish for smaller boobs because i thought they were cuter on dancers. Ive never really liked having boobs i always thought they felt a little gross. Like pieces of fat hanging from my chest. And i always wanted to be skinnier. And i don't necessarily dislike being a girl. But hey sometimes i do want to be a boy and i don't want to be in denial if i am transgender. I just want to know what's going on and if i freaking myseld out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 545 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 11:35 am
@Kyraclax,
this is just a superficial guess because only you know the true answer. This seems more a case of curiosity than it does anything else. The Caitlyn Jenner transgender re-assignment situation raised public awareness. People questioning their gender assignment should still be a rarity. Now questioning one's sexual preference ... that is a whole different issue.

Understand their are degrees to gender identity as well as sexual preference. Your ideas about your identity are shifting around, as they will for anyone as they mature. However, it sounds like your attraction to boys has you rooted in being female. You have said nothing about being sexually attracted to women, though.

Getting used to your body and how much you like its maturing is a different issue than wanting to become transgender or questioning where you're at.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 11:39 am
@Kyraclax,
I think you're pretty damned normal.

Lots of people go through identity issues at your age. These may or may not be related to gender identity, BTW. People also question if they had religious upbringings, or if they really want to be a doctor, or where they should live.

This is a time of transition and of changes. Don't be afraid of wanting something different, or thinking you are different now. You are different!

I seriously doubt the coverage of Caitlyn Jenner changed anything in you although it may have felt more accepted. For Caitlyn, there is a lot of acceptance, but she's also got tons of cash. Sadly, a lot of other transgendered persons aren't treated so well. They should be - and I don't say this to discourage you - but understand that the positives you got from the coverage of Caitlyn's transition don't happen with everyone.

Here's my suggestion to you, and it would be the same if you were wondering whether to move to Milwaukee or play music for a living or anything else - be who you are, whoever that is. But don't put a label on it and don't make a decision about it for another (yes, I really mean this) five years. Let your transitional years play out. Live your life, educate yourself in this and all manners, stay safe and take care of your body and your heart.

But don't decide things for a while.

Just be.
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 12:15 pm
@jespah,
Good advice.
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 12:38 pm
@Ragman,
Aw thanks. Now I gotta go call the Aquarium, or somethin'. Wink
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 01:05 pm
@jespah,
you lost me there?

(Oh, you mean about the sunfish video clip earlier?)
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2015 06:26 pm
@Ragman,
Yes, it's the sunfish clip. Smile
0 Replies