ET should be reached in 20 years

Col Man

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:29 pm
ET should be contacted within 20 years - if he exists.

The bold prediction comes from a leading expert in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (Seti).

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the Seti Institute in Mountain View, California, bases the claim on accepted assumptions about the chances of alien civilisations existing combined with projected increases in computing power.

Shostak first estimated the number of alien civilisations in our galaxy, the Milky Way, that might be broadcasting radio signals.

For this he used a formula created in 1961 by the astronomer Frank Drake which includes factors such as the number of stars with planets, how many of those planets might be expected to have life, and the likelihood of life evolving to an advanced stage.

He concluded that there should be between 10,000 and a million transmitting aliens in the galaxy, New Scientist magazine reported.

To find them will involve observing and inspecting radio emissions from most of the Milky Way's 100 billion stars.

The time necessary for this task can be estimated from the capabilities of planned radio telescopes - such as Seti's one-hectare Allen Telescope Array - and expected increases in the power of microchips that sift through the radio signals from space.

Within a generation, radio emissions from enough stars will be observed and analysed to find the first alien civilisation, Shostak estimates.

But because they will probably be between 200 and 1,000 light years away, sending a radio message back will take centuries.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,105 • Replies: 24
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 06:21 pm
I can't even get a decent station from 30 miles out. It's gonna be even toiugher getting one from 300 light years away.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
I wonder whether such a thing as an alien exists. I'm not exactly in want of their being any; how about all you? Would you be glad if there were something out there?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:24 am
I would be fascinated, and not surprised at all. I don't have an emotional stake in such creatures' existance, drom. It would not disappoint me if non existed.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:27 am
Do you think that, if there are such creatures, they would ever get as far as Earth? Do you think that there is any chance of there being a parallel universe, or do you find that tosh?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:32 am
Parallell universe - mere conjecture.
The distance between us and any possible aliens is too great for me to believe they will come here or we will go there.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:35 am
20 years? No way. My research tells me 19 years, and 4 months. In other news, pickles are green.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
I agree on both counts. I wonder what their civilisation is like. It's boggling to think of the possibilities.

0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:43 am
The Aliens are all gorgeous women dressed in fishnet stockings with an attraction to Earth men. Boy, I can hardly wait!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 04:11 am
Do you think there has ever been life on Mars? Some scientists say there was, some 3 billion years ago. Ain't that fascinating!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 05:40 am
I think it as unlikely that aliens would come here, or have come here, as that we would go visit them. One has to imagine all sorts of improbabilities to suggest we have been visited at all, let alone as frequently as some "ufologist" suggest. The cost in energy and materials is prohibitive, and the time factor is as well, for sentient, emotional beings.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 05:50 am
At first, why do you post all this messages without a link, col man ?

Maybe life, but not this what the movies figures..

Here is another article:

If aliens exist 'we'll know in 20years

Quote:
ALIEN life will be discovered within 20 years or not at all, according to scientists who are scanning the skies for signs of intelligent life.

Experts in California said yesterday they would need another two decades to finish analysing radio signals from 100 billion stars in the Milky Way.

Their efforts were applauded yesterday by Wales' foremost astronomer, Prof Chandra Wickramasinghe, of Cardiff University, who accused critics of being impatient for results.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (Seti) has already spent four decades checking radio waves for patterns that would betray the influence of intelligence.

But despite finding nothing, the group has not lost heart.

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the Seti Institute in Mountain View, California, said signs of intelligent life - if any existed - would be found within 20 years.

His claim was based on accepted assumptions about the chances of alien civilisations existing and on projected increases in computing power on Earth.

Mr Shostak also estimated the number of alien civilisations in the Milky Way that might be broadcasting radio signals.

He used a formula created in 1961 which includes factors such as the number of stars with planets, how many of those planets might be expected to have life, and the likelihood of life evolving to an advanced stage.

He concluded that there should be between 10,000 and a million transmitting aliens in the galaxy, according to a report in New Scientist magazine.

To find them will involve observing and inspecting radio emissions from most of the Milky Way's 100 billion stars.

The time necessary for this task can be estimated from the capabilities of planned radio telescopes - such as Seti's one-hectare Allen Telescope Array - and expected increases in the power of microchips that sift through the radio signals from space.

Within a generation, radio emissions from enough stars will be observed and analysed to find the first alien civilisation, Mr Shostak estimates.

But because they will probably be between 200 and 1,000 light years away, a radio message sent from Earth would take centuries to reach the intelligent beings who sent the incoming signal.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 07:34 am
Setana, the cost in energy and materials is prohibitive only if you are dealing with a world where money, greed and corruption are the ruling factors. In order for an alien civilization to advance so far beyond ours they would have to work for the good of each other. They would be able to harness the powers of the Universe and the power of each individual. They would be from a world not only technically superior to ours but also light years beyond us in their "humanity".
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:11 pm
i suppose i could post a link...
i usually dont bother because i post all the article here so a link in my opinion is fairly pointless as its literally the same as i post here Smile so thats why Smile
i only post a link if someone asks so it proves that im not making this stuff up Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:17 pm
well i dont know what to think regarding aliens
im just keeping an open mind and i hope to one day say 'nanoo nanoo' to some three headed green giant Wink
if life occured here then there is a good chance life will occur elsewhere too
intelligence is down to opinion.... maybe if there are aliens who 'visit' our planet they are so far advanced that we to them are not intelligent and therefore they would never contact us
lets just hope we find out...and the sooner the better Smile it would be nice to know... 'we are not alone' Wink

peace and love Smile
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:01 pm
Col Man wrote:
i suppose i could post a link...
i usually dont bother because i post all the article here so a link in my opinion is fairly pointless as its literally the same as i post here so thats why
i only post a link if someone asks so it proves that im not making this stuff up

I guess, you post not a link because you want that we not know from which souce do you have that. ......

So, at least write your source ex. Yahoo News
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:59 am
ok fair enough Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:28 am
Col Man wrote:
intelligence is down to opinion.... maybe if there are aliens who 'visit' our planet they are so far advanced that we to them are not intelligent and therefore they would never contact us
lets just hope we find out...and the sooner the better Smile it would be nice to know... 'we are not alone' Wink

peace and love Smile

Let's run down on interspecies contact to date. Exhibit 1, a space-faring race of aliens that has technology capable of either travelling at incredible speeds or warping space. Exhibit 2, after discovering a planet with life and 'intelligent' life at that, they then:

-hide
-instruct humans in building huge pyramids and scratching shapes on the Nazca plains - they don't leave any physical evidence or the slightest clue why
-remain hidden by flying around in aircraft that shine incredibly bright lights that can be seen
-contact only power elites and give them technology
-buzz cars and trucks in remote areas
-kidnap humans in remote areas
-mutilate cattle, removing their organs through the rectum
-have sex with humans
-have sex at an extinct volcano with a French race-car driver AND tell him the secrets of the Universe
-dress in basic black suits, wear sunglasses and drive black late-model sedans in an attempt to stay anonymous
-fly black helicopters, even though they have far superior aircraft
-let humans shoot down their craft and or recover crashed craft and let them retrieve bodies and debris, and take no action about it, even though they wish to remain hidden
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:32 am
Very Happy Laughing now thats funny Wink
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 03:35 am
I only wish it was - these are the ACTUAL things that aliens are doing according to some. Would you really travel all the way across the Galaxy to spend all your time in New Mexico?
0 Replies