Vietnam bans hair-raising hair

Col Man

Reply Wed 21 Jul, 2004 05:24 pm
HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam has banned skinheads and actors with uncombed or coloured hair from performing on stage to preserve "traditional aesthetic values", the culture ministry has announced.

Regulation 47, issued last week, said the ministry had banned "all hairdos that inflict horrors, colourfully painted or dyed hair, uncombed hair, shaved heads, racy and revealing dresses and make up that goes against traditional aesthetic values" from the stage.

The communist country enforces strict censorship of all public performances, but this regulation has made some theatre people unhappy.

"It is an individual's taste, and it should not be banned," Truong Nhuan, deputy director of a theatre in Ho Chi Minh City was quoted by Thanh Nien (Young People) newspaper as saying, referring to the latest regulation.

One man in Vietnam who probably will not be seen on stage any time soon is 73-year-old Tran Van Hay, who was in the news last week for his snake-like coil of hair, which he claims is 6.2 metres (20 feet) long.

Hay, who supplies traditional medicines to his village in southern Vietnam, is vying to get a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the world's longest hair
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 412 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:51 am
They will be oppressed and miserable but at least they'll look stylin!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:57 am
I can imagine: 'I have a dream; that my four little Vietnamese counterparts will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the style of their hair, but by the content of their character.'

0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:40 am
Hey Drom, as Kerry and Edwards clearly prove, even in this country we are judged by our hairstyles. We haven't had a bald president since Nixon and he still had most of his hair.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 11:53 am
It's awful, the longing for a media-savvy president instead of one who can actually legislate well. (Have they been dismissed, or praised, for their hairstyles?)

0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:31 pm
as far as i know all the american presidents have been white and aryan.....
i will know america is truly the land of freedom when they have an african american president or even an asian american president.....
until this day comes this freedom they talk about is only a word in a pipedream......
they are no more free than anyone else on the planet..... they are merely allowed to think that they are....
this is all Wink

peace and love Smile
0 Replies