Colorado Just Became the First State Ever to Generate More Taxes from Marijuana than Alcohol

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
Colorado Just Became the First State Ever to Generate More Taxes from Marijuana than Alcohol

In the past year, it has become obvious that marijuana is set to become a booming industry on the legal market and recent news from Colorado gives us more evidence of this taking place.

As one of the first states to go legal, the Colorado government has collected more taxes for marijuana than they have for alcohol in the past year. This is the first time that this has ever happened in history and it shows that the market for marijuana may be larger than the market for alcohol.

According to The Colorado Department of Revenue, the state government was able to rob marijuana sellers and users blind, collecting over $70 million in taxes from cannabis sales. Meanwhile, alcohol companies were fleeced for roughly $42 million for alcohol taxes, over the course of a year.

While businesses getting looted by government tax collectors is never anything to celebrate, it is interesting to see how quickly the marijuana market is growing.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/colorado-history-bringing-taxes-marijuana-alcohol-time/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,336 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:02 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Love it..

What I don't love, is that if I want to grow one plant in my house or yard sometime in the future, that would be illegal.... or would it? I haven't been near mj since the seventies, not interested, but I might become interested for pain medication reasons later on.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I've been near it later, since I lived for a while in Humboldt County, but not part of all that. Not against it either, except for some stuff I read about what was going on with taking creek water by some growers, hard on the native ecology.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2015 06:49 pm
I never thought it would take so long.
0 Replies