• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,953 • Replies: 12
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 03:22 pm
@pooya1333,
"At the point of a gun" literally means at the end of the barrel of a firearm. Figuratively, it means doing something by lethal force or being compelled to do something by threat of lethal force.
Ragman

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 03:46 pm
@pooya1333,
It means being forced into a decision either by lethal force or by extreme coercion.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:51 pm
We usually say "at gunpoint". I don't know anywhere where people say "at point of gun". Inglish maybe?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 11 Sep, 2015 04:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
it means doing something by lethal force or being compelled to do something by threat of lethal force.

Not necessarily lethal, sometimes just (at the time) irresistible force, influence or power.

I didn't want to work for Jim but he had me at gunpoint - he controlled my department's budget and could take away all of our jobs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:21 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

We usually say "at gunpoint". I don't know anywhere where people say "at point of gun". Inglish maybe?

I had looked up "at the point of a gun" and found that it's the title of a book, "At the Point of a Gun: Democratic Dreams and Armed Intervention" written by David Rieff.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2015 11:29 am
@InfraBlue,
I wrote:
I don't know anywhere where people say "at point of gun"

InfraBlue wrote:
the title of a book, "At the Point of a Gun [etc]"

Can you see the difference between the phrase in what I wrote, and the one in your answer? Do you understand why I suggested "at point of gun" might be Inglish (or Chinglish)?

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2015 11:21 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
I took it to be a typo.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 06:37 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
"At the point of a gun" literally means at the end of the barrel of a firearm.

Figuratively, it means doing something by lethal force or being compelled to do something by threat of lethal force.

I disagree. "Figuratively" speaking, neither guns nor lethal force even come into it. It just means that you had no viable option, usually because of some harm you expected to come to you if you did otherwise. It is only in the "literal" sense that the threat of lethal force is involved.
roger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 12:40 pm
@layman,
I agree. Now, how did you find this old thread?
centrox

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 01:04 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Trawling Infrablue's old posts to find one to disagree with?
layman

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:10 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

It showed on my screen as a "new post." I never even looked at the date. Maybe somebody made a recent post and then deleted it, I don't know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 03:21 pm
@centrox,
Doesn't take me long at all to do that.
0 Replies