Man's missing catch sniffed out

Col Man

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:26 pm
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The stench broke the case of the missing halibut.

A fishy stink led airline officials to what they believe is the 40 pounds of halibut a traveler reported missing from his checked bags two weeks ago.

Brenee Davis, a general manager for Continental Airlines in Anchorage, said the company's baggage handlers discovered "a ton of rotting fish" under a luggage conveyor belt recently at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

She suspects it was the halibut passenger Ray Bolanos reported missing from a cooler he checked on a June 24 flight from Anchorage to Seattle. The fish was thrown away immediately.

"We've gone through a few cans of Lysol," Davis said.

Davis' theory is that Bolanos' cooler wasn't properly secured and came open on the conveyor belt.

Bolanos doesn't buy that explanation.

When his fish cooler came off the luggage carousel in Seattle, he said he found a rope he had tied around the chest inside and his 40 individually wrapped one-pound chunks of halibut gone.

"It's not something that was chewed off. It was a clear cut," Bolanos said Saturday, when he was reached on his cell phone in Kenmore, Wash.

Davis said workers initially thought the smell was related to construction at the airport. Then it got worse.

"There was mass migration down there to figure out what the smell was," she said
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 446 • Replies: 2
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
I had some cheese in a bag the airline lost when I went to Japan in '87. I wonder why they haven't found THAT yet!
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 10:44 pm
one of my girlfriends left some cheese on a coach once when she came back from france
it was extra smelly camembert and beleive me they found it after a few days when the smell became so potent people could no longer get on the coach due to the fumes Smile
0 Replies