is my dog nuts?

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 01:03 pm
My dog is the greatest dog ever....when we're home, and 99% of the time when we're not. The problem is she's very protective of our home. So this week we were having a sprinkler system installed. Knowing she would go nuts barking at them and may potentiall ruin our curtains and window screens, we thought we would lock her in our bedroom, which is quite large. When I got home for lunch I went to let her out and she had tried to dig her way out of the bedroom, thus ruining our brand new carpet. Help!! Why would she do this? She has never done anything like that to our property?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,217 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:05 pm
Why would she do it?? Because she wanted out of the room!

I've had dogs that did the exact same thing.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
yes, i don't think any single room, however large, would not feel claustrophobic after awhile. I would probably try to claw my way out too if i was locked in somewhere for half a day. I think she would mind the sprinklers less than the bedroom. she might not even notice the water (?) give it a shot. turn the sprinklers on and stay with her inside for awhile, see what she does.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 02:31 pm
sbostian- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

When I read your post, do you know what came to mind? I thought of the old b&w movies where the prisoners tunnel their way out of jail. I think that poochie had the same thing in mind! Laughing
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 04:04 pm
I doubt it is the size of the space so much as being alone in it. Our first dog dug through floors (vinyl flooring and a bit of the plywood subfloor -- in a rental) when we left him alone for more than a few hours. He had the kitchen and the bathroom.

We got another dog to keep him company, put them both in the same space during the day, and the destruction stopped immediately. Dogs are social critters, and they generally do not like being alone. Being alone and threatened (strangers in the yard is a threat to her) is even worse.

By the way, how old is your pooch? A lot of dogs are very destructive -- and insecure -- between roughly one and two years of age. In a wolf pack, this is when a pup is assigned his or her status.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 05:31 pm
Also, the dog wanted to protect yopur house, that's what she does. She couldn't do it from behind that door. I have a boxer and when she was young, she dug through a patch of carpet and into the flooring beneath when I tried to keep her closed in. She's much better at not doing stuff like that now that she's old, and I'm much better at not putting her into situations where I know she'll act badly.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 06:32 pm
..I just got a little kitten and was told that even a large cage or a little bathroom is way too
small for the kitten's exercise needs.

I think your dog is behaving like a dog....it just needs enough space and exercise...........
0 Replies