5 Essential Philosophy Questions

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:19 pm
I'm taking a philosophy class this year, and I have heard that these 5 fundamental questions can effectively sum up one's philosophical/religious beliefs (they are essentially the topics we are covering this year). Since I come from a group of individuals with pretty unified beliefs, I'd love to hear what answers I would receive from people who I don't know, people with different philosophical and religious beliefs. So, if you'd like to answers these questions, and help me to understand the worldviews of people different than myself, the questions are:

1. What is truth?

2. How do you know something?

3. How do you determine right and wrong?

4. Why is there so much evil and suffering in the world?

5. Is God real? (explain)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,143 • Replies: 8
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 01:35 pm
@DwightDavis,
1. What is truth?
not sure what truth is, but i understand a hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich
after more than 50 years on the planet i realize i don't know anything
if i get away with it, it was right
because people are evil and evil tends to lead to suffering
explain the question or my answer? i'm just gonna say no until i have more information
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 03:09 pm
@DwightDavis,
DwightDavis wrote:
1. What is truth?
Question raised by Pilate at John 18:38 and discused at length here
Quote:
Question beaten to death by Frank
Quote:
Personally, I use the Bible. I know that puts me in the minority.
Quote:
As Jesus explained at John 14:30, neither He nor God is currently in charge of world affairs
Quote:
While there are no logically complete proofs for the existence of God, we may certainly be impressed by the weight of the design argument to the point where we search for God and find that, indeed, he is not far off from any of us. (Acts 17:27)
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 04:05 pm
@DwightDavis,
Quote:
1. What is truth?

http://onelook.com/?w=truth&ls=a

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/truth?s=t

Quote:
A number of ways, including experience, training, relig or philo conviction, prejudice, etc; or lacks thereof

Quote:
See 2. above. Of course Porky's version wouldn't quite agree with ours

Quote:
Basically it's a lack of early ed. but then see 2. above also

Quote:
When a kid I was atheist; later on agnostic. Finally a sort of apodictical existential pantheism that maintains there's a lot we don't yet know on account of our dualistic "reason." When we begin to catch on, it will become apparent that Her reality or existence doesn't fall quite into our true-false thinking
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:22 pm
@DwightDavis,
1. Truth is a stronger point of view or opinion. But usually truth can be made false by adding specificity to a question. "What color's the sky?" If the answer's "blue." that's be correct. But if we add "...on the Moon?" Then suddenly "truth" isn't true any longer.

2. We know things when others can duplicate and confirm them. Scientific method is how we know for sure we know things, and they aren't just our opinions.

3. If they hit you because of it it's wrong. If not it's right. Smile

4. Evil doesn't exist, neither's good. All that exists are actions and consequences. Evil and good though are points of view and can differ describing an identical action. Example: is a soldier killing an enemy good or evil?

5. Haven't cataloged everything in the universe yet, but my opinion is God isn't real.
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:28 pm
@DwightDavis,
1. Truth is anything thats a fact.

2. Best way is personal experience.

3. Wrong leads to problems in the future. Right doesn't (unless the wrong are persecuting you for being right)

4. A legion is making you :
* not know God
* not fear God
* not obey God
* Turn against God
That is why everything everyone does in the world is always the exact opposite of the ten commandments

5. Yes, seek God knowing and accepting the fact that his son died for you and he WILL respond ( i promise)

That is why all these people here dont believe. They go seeking God not believing in him and most of the time to prove that he doesnt exist rather to embrace his existance.
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:30 pm
@DwightDavis,
Look up the tribulation and compare it to today's society, economy, etc.

The bible's prophecy will smack you in the face .. Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2015 01:02 am
@DwightDavis,
I applaud your request but it is simplistic.

If you have joined an academic class in philosophy, you will ultimately come to the relatively recent move by philosophers towards an analysis of the language and the social contexts which give rise to those 'questions'. Without an understanding of such contexts, the questions tend to be meaningless, and no vested interest group such as a 'religious one' is willing to examine the contextual axioms with which they have been conditioned and support their feelings of 'self integrity'.
0 Replies

shallyv

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 06:00 pm
@DwightDavis,
Philosophy? That's another name for words, words, and more words!
0 Replies