'Pongy' drinkable champagne opened after 50 years on sea bed

Col Man

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
LONDON (AFP) - A group of British divers were celebrating their discovery of a stash of half century-old champagne on the bottom of the English Channel by uncorking a few bottles for a tasting.

The samples from around 20,000 half bottles discovered buried in silt in the hold of a sunken French cargo ship were described by experts as very drinkable, if somewhat "pongy" and with a slight aroma of fish.

The champagne was found by members of Folkestone Diving Club and other diving groups on the south coast of England, who have however refused to say where they located the freighter.

All they will say is that the bottles come from the wreck of a cargo ship called The Seine, which was en route for England when it sank after supposedly hitting a Russian freighter in July 1955.

Some of the champagne -- thought to date from around 1950 -- was uncorked at London's plush Dorchester Hotel Saturday.

It would be by no means to everyone's taste, said champagne expert Susie Barrie, one of the first tasters.

"Aged champagne is an acquired taste and often loses its fizz and this had lost most of its fizz. You either love it or hate it," she said.

"It has that lovely amber-gold colour and honeyed, mineral aromas like a mushroomy smell. None of it's unusual in old champagne. Some people would have smelled it and thought it was too pongy, but it really did taste absolutely fine.

"It certainly did not taste bad or spoiled, although there was just a hint of a fishy aroma and taste, but nothing major and it did not taste salty. You would not be able to tell it was from a shipwreck."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 562 • Replies: 3
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:17 pm
Jaques Cousteau and his crew unearthed, opened and drank a bottle of wine that was over 2,000 years old. Must have been a fine vintage.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:21 pm
Define pongy
What IS pongy, exactly? Stinky? I've never heard the word before, but can't help but think of Pongo, the dog in "101 Dalmations."

How often is champagne found to be undrinkable? I've had one flat bottle I recall. It was french, had gotten over-heated, we thought (I live in Hawaii), its bouquet was still lovely, its taste was delicious, just not bubbly. I would gladly try it, even "pongy," so long as I knew it to be french in origin.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:25 pm
yes pongy means smelly or stinky
its an english slang word so it probably isnt said on your side of the ocean
lucky you that you live in hawaii Smile
i hope to visit there someday
enjoy Smile
0 Replies