Cops order cover-up of officers' tattoos

Col Man

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:19 pm
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - As Americans go crazy for tattoos, police chiefs in one California city have ordered overly embellished officers to cover up excessive body art to avoid further scaring crime victims.

The official cover-up was ordered by San Diego Police Chief William Lansdowne on Wednesday as he unveiled a detailed directive for his boys in blue to hide their tattoos from the taxpayers who pay their salaries.

"Clearly, the public in San Diego wants a well-groomed, very professional appearance on our police officers, and that's what this (policy) does provide and will provide," Lansdowne said.

Under the new rules, uniformed police must ensure that their dress blues hide any tattoos, brands or "scarifications" that are "excessive," or visible over more than 30 percent of their biceps, forearms or hands.

The rules also outlaw most inked skin renderings above the officer's collarbone, at a time when body art has become big business across the country.

The crackdown came after members of the public complained of excessively decorated police at community meetings and also after a few emergency calls.

Some victims of crime were taken aback by the sight of extensively tattooed patrolmen turning up to help them, the chief said.

"We have had complaints from citizens who called and said they didn't believe that (the cops) were police officers," he said.

"We had to send a sergeant or someone else to manage the call for them."

While many San Diego police sport tattoos, only a handful boast enough body art to require significant changes to the way they wear their uniforms, officials said.

The most ornate officers will now have to look more formal and may find California's summers hotter and stickier than usual as they resort to wearing long sleeves and ties.

"For 37 years in this business, I've never worn anything but long-sleeved shirts, with a tie," Lansdowne said. "It's the way I think officers should look.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 652 • Replies: 7
No top replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:22 pm
ignorance...it will pass.....
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 05:29 pm
lets hope so Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:09 pm
Love me. Love my tattoos.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:11 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 06:47 pm
I remember getting literally punched and hit by rednecks back in 1965 for having long hair....now outside of muscicians and artist types only rednecks have long hair......then the earring thing right , left, queer straight nonsense...that passed as well....I got my right ear pierced the first time and after a million people asking me if I was "one of them there queer boys" and telling me I pierced the wrong ear I went ahead and pierced the other one too and don't think that wasn't a nine days wonder.....so this tattoo nonsense will be forgotten soon enough.....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:55 pm
Love ya, bear. Love yer tattoos Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:54 am
yes BPB i agree....all things pass....life is change Very Happy
and as well peoples memories seem to be as short as goldfishes :wink:
its amazing how quickly everyone forgets Shocked
anyway its nice to see you at least are aware of this 'truth' :wink:
i suffered abuse and physical and verbal violence too when i was young from english 'rednecks' and thugs Crying or Very sad Sad Confused
but now im sitting pretty with my long hair, travelling the world and having the time of my life while they live in their redneck small minded hells... Smile Very Happy Laughing Cool
dude some of these people havent even left their hometown...how sad Sad
small lives breed small minds.........
i think they should pass a law in the states.... in fact in all countries ....so that every person on the planet has to travel to at least ten other countries and spend at least a fair proportion of their life there ...so they can understand...we live in a big world full of diversity Very Happy

peace and love Smile
0 Replies