Egg rock from NE OHIO

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:05 pm
I found a rock about the size of an ostrich egg in perfect shape. I remember as a kid crushing these common rocks and finding a hard outer shell with a soft clay/chalky material inside. I suspect this is the same. This is NE Ohio. Anyone know what this is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 595 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:10 pm
@billy rubin,
Haven't seen any with anything like clay on the inside, but if there were they would never have been cut, polished, and sold in various rock shops. The inside is usually lined with quartzite crystals and are called geodes. Are you anywhere around Keokuk, Ohio?
billy rubin

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:00 pm
@roger,
Keokuk Ohio must be really small.....cant even find it on the map. The rock Im talking about has no crystals inside. Very common around here. Hard shell soft chalky material inside.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 08:09 pm
@billy rubin,
Got any photos?
roger

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 08:42 pm
@billy rubin,
Sorry. Maybe it's really in Iowa.
0 Replies

billy rubin

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 12:35 pm
@rosborne979,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9mfd8kfahuk2dn/Egg%20rock.jpg?dl=0
rosborne979

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 08:23 pm
@billy rubin,
It looks like a rock which has been in a stream bed for a long time (water smoothed). Do you have any photo's which show the interior? How thick is the "shell" layer? How hard is the shell layer compared to the interior? Are there color differences between the shell and interior?

My only thought so far is that it might be some form of clay nodule which developed a "shell" from exposure to something (Sun, Heat, Cold, Chemicals?)?

billy rubin

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 08:41 pm
@rosborne979,
I would have to crack it open to see the interior. It is such a perfect shape, I hate to do it. Alot of our rocks around here are smooth. It was excavated from a basement on a hill.

These clay nodules are common around here. If I were to guess about the interior it would be chalky with a ferrous red / orange color
rosborne979

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:46 am
@billy rubin,
Don't crack it on my account if you don't want to. I thought you said there were lots of these things... I figured you could find another to crack open.
0 Replies