E><X><P><E><R><I><M><E><N><T

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 06:36 pm
Hey Guys, I have been given a science project and I ahve t choose an experiment to do and write a report on. She has given us a few examples and we are allowed to use those examples but then we will not get marks for creativity. I will show you the examples and I hope you can help me think of an experiment that would be acceptable!

Thanks so much From Jess xoxox

Examples:
1.How can cut flowers be made to last longer in a vase?
2. Does temperature change the bounce of a tenis ball?
3.Which is the most absorbent kitchen paper?
4. Which brand of cling wrap is the strongest?

There are a few more but they are the better ones? I hope you guys an help! Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,159 • Replies: 12
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:57 pm
!) Freeze the flowers and the vase in liquid nitrogen. They will last an eternity.

2) I have never played in cold weather so I can't say for sure but likely the ball does not bounce as freely in the cold.

3) According to the commercials, Bounty.

4) Glad.

I don't have any experiment to prove any of my assertions.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:52 pm
Freeze the tennis ball in liquid nitrogen and it won't bounce at all...it will shatter like the vase your wilting flowers are in.

I think Viva is the most absorbant--but is it a paper towel, or isn't it?

Reynolds commercial cling wrap is the strongest by far. It can almost be used for warehouse stretch wrap.

Finally, do you still get "creativity" points if you ask other people instead of using your own creative mind?

Think on this plane: what have you ever wondered about, but never bothered to seek the answer? Think of the normal things you see around you (like the examples given by your teacher).

Apparently, your teacher wants you to figure out some everyday puzzles, and not space/time continuum formulae.

Make it a point to observe things around you more closely. What questions might you ask about such things? What makes it work? Which is better than another competing product? What forces can something endure?

Find the questions, and you'll find your answer.

Good luck!

General Tsao
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 10:52 pm
Assuming you have a choice of doing any project you wish, and these are just examples, i would suggest you pick something other than the above, so your project will not be boring, or compared with others so readily.
The whole point of doing projects is to demonstrate that you understand the scientific method of investigating any phenomenon, so it is less important what you pick, than that you show that you understand.

If you don't, run, do not walk to the nearest library (safer than internet info), and look it up.
Deciding on a project is half the fun, don't let others do it for you.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:51 am
Variations of the teacher's ideas:
2. Rather than just seeing if temp affects a ball's bounce, determine how it affects the bounce. E.g. freeze a tennis ball in liq N2 and measure how high it bounces as it warms back up to rm temp.--make a plot of bounce height versus time, since you won't be able to measure the temperature of the ball very easily. You can compare this plot with other types of rubber balls such as racquetballs, super balls, golf ball cores, etc. (hint: the bounce height should go through a minimum when the rubber is at its GLASS TRANSITION temperature--try doing a library search on glass transition)
4. Don't just look at the brand of cling wrap--see if you can identify a trend based on what the different wraps are made of; e.g. Saran wrap = poly(vinylidene chloride), but other wraps are made from other polymers. Also, you can compare more than just strength--e.g., look at heat & cold resistance, etc.
0 Replies

muddierwaters

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:54 pm
A good experinment i did in highschool was....

Hypothesis:

Sunspots directly influence our weather.

easy to research and compile data.....
0 Replies

muddierwaters

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 04:59 pm
lab rat wrote:
Variations of the teacher's ideas:
2. Rather than just seeing if temp affects a ball's bounce, determine how it affects the bounce. E.g. freeze a tennis ball in liq N2 and measure how high it bounces as it warms back up to rm temp.--make a plot of bounce height versus time, since you won't be able to measure the temperature of the ball very easily. You can compare this plot with other types of rubber balls such as racquetballs, super balls, golf ball cores, etc. (hint: the bounce height should go through a minimum when the rubber is at its GLASS TRANSITION temperature--try doing a library search on glass transition)

I think what his professor meant was how the ambiant room temperature affects the bounce of a tennis ball. IE the temperature of the air affecting the psi assuming the temperature inside and outside the ball are equivalent.
0 Replies

muddierwaters

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
another way to apporach the scenario aforementioned by me is to obtain a digital air pressure guage that checks pressure to the tenth of a lb. and check the psi of automobile tires over several days and record the temperature. This is easily done and the data can be plotted on a graph that will show on colder days the psi is lessor and on warmer days the psi is greater. therefore a good hypothesis would be:

Temperature affects how smooth my car rides.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:05 pm
I'll participate only when you edit the title of this thread without all those added <<<<<>>>>>>>. Wink
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 05:17 pm
experiment
Cheeki-Bri:

I read your last post -- and now this one.

I think the true "experiment" is to see if you can get the "smart peeps" on this forum to do your homework for you.

Quite the experiment, indeed. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
#1: Get long stemmed flowers. Cut it at an angle, and put into 7-up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 02:45 pm
I would do an experiment that demonstrates how a volcano erupts.
0 Replies

real deal paji

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 10:55 am
volcano erupting ??

not to sound too arrogant but sounds like 2nd year high school...

int. experiment is level of oxygen against respiration levels, and further this by doing excercise and measure fatigue

rgds
0 Replies