Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 12:31 pm
Hello Folks! I happened to find a rock recently and was amazed by the structure of the rock. it looked liked 2 rocks of dissimilar color were fused together.
I have absolutely no knowledge of geology. can you please let me know whet kind of rock this is so i can learn more about it?
please let me know why it seems like two rocks ( white and brown) are fused together?
thank you

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah105/shlomo_voolarockguy8802/P7260151_zpslnkcv5ge.jpg

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah105/shlomo_voolarockguy8802/P7260150_zps9fgtilkz.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:44 pm
@got2know12,
Got, I'd guess granite or soapstone. Doubtless the clear layer was desposited during an era when not so windy or sandy

But I predict we'll soon get some really expert response
got2know12

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 02:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Thank you for your reply. How long do you think the clear layer was deposited? one year? 10 years?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:56 pm
@got2know12,
Good q, Got. Mac et al where are u
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:06 pm
@got2know12,
It a kind of quartzite with distinct layering. You can see the grains and the staining. Itd be nat f you could find the "ledge" from which it was flaked off.
Seeing the rock In place is far better than seeing it sitting on a table. Part pf geology that the professionals do is to determine where the rocks started, when, an how they were deposited, Because knowing allthat they can derive "conceptual models" and you can compare the rock to other sites (All this is often needed to do things like "prospecting" or seeking out gemstones.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:07 pm
@got2know12,
BTW, the rock looks like its been "worked" by human hands. See the chipping all around?
got2know12

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 08:21 pm
@farmerman,
may be worked by humans, maybe not....i found it at work in the dirt parking lot while having lunch. it is located in pittston , PA. can you tell me more about quartzite? how is it formed? etc
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:47 pm
@got2know12,
Quartzite is a sandstone that has been compressed at levels that constitute metamorphism. This does look like high grade sandstones of the coal measures. We see this bright white color sandstone in Ohio nar Zanesville where they mine it for glass making.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 10:24 am
@farmerman,
Quartzite of course. I should turn in my credentials as rockhound
0 Replies