Help BBB celebrate her 75th Birthday 7/13

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:49 am
Edit (Moderator): Moved from Human Interest Stories to General.

Now that I'm getting older, I usually celebrate Bastile day instead of my birthday. But this year is special because it's hard to believe I've been around for 3/4 of a century. I'm inviting everyone to help me celebrate my 75th birthday on Tuesday, July 13th by posting some of your favorite, funny, or even sad birthday memories in your life.

What is your favorite birthday cake? Mine was Angel Food Cake. Home made, not the dry mix stuff, with lots of fresh eggs whites, sometimes from the chickens we raised during World War II. Maybe it was so special because sugar was rationed during the war and Angel Food cake was a wonderful way to use the precious grains.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,478 • Replies: 55
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:56 am
First things come first: a bottle of tequila, so everyone can loosen their tongue, and tell good stories:

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/tequila/details/sauza_extragold_gr.jpg

Happy birthday, BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 08:58 am
Fbaezer
Fbaezer really knows how to begin a celebration. Wish you were here to help me celebrate, but you would have to help out with the remodeling of Dys and Diane's new house in ABQ and getting them moved in.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
Best wishes to you BBB on your 75th! How I wish I could meet you and wish you a Happy Birthday in person but we live so far apart...(shrugs).

fbaezer...can I have the worm? Razz Mr. Green
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:22 am
BBB--

Happy Birthday! In 25 years you'll qualify as a duty-free antique. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to the daily gleanings of your insatiable pursuit of information.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:27 am
Happy Birthday BBB and many more!

http://llizard.crosswinds.net/gifs/cake.gif

I'll be back later to post my birthday memories.

Fbaezer, no tequila for me...thanks anyway...my tongue will become too loose. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:31 am
hmmmm, birthdays.
well, since I think there is nothing better than a birthday that starts with sunrise by the ocean/lake (i feel sorry for people who don't live near large bodies of water)

Here's hoping the next 75 years start like this ...

http://unlitter.com/vb99/jpegs/sunrise.jpg

Birthday memories that aren't too blush-making to share? must mull.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 10:38 am
Happy Birthday, BBB. Enjoy your special day.

Angel Food Cake? Well, you've given a good reason for preferring it, but, Devil's Food Cake with buttercream icing - That's got to be the best ever.
(And in my case, probably the best cake I ever tasted as it was the first birthday cake I remember my Mom baking after the sugar, butter, etc. rationing was lifted. Very Happy )
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:52 pm
I'm not a wimp, but I sure was pleasantly surprised when my mother announced at my birthday we would get a dog, something I had begged for for years and years.

http://members.aol.com/tenkids10/beagle.jpg

He looked like this when we got him Smile

And for you BBB:

http://www.lovetoparty.co.nz/images/KDC-019.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
Can't think of any Birthday memories, but I wish you a very Happy Birthday BBB :-D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
75th?! Well, fan me with a blowtorch. I would have never guessed. Happy Birthday.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:18 pm
"Fan me with a blowtorch", hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:20 pm
BBB, I have a question: the person on the avatar, is that you? Just wondering Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
BBB, a special lady beyond compare. You are consistently one of the best of the good guys. A big old kiss on the cheek and a mighty: HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:26 pm
Wow, BBB; your seventyfifth birthday! You don't look it at all.

I will have to think about birthday memories; I don't have many good ones. Until then,

http://visitenprovence.free.fr/DIVpalaisvin.jpg

a toast to your deserved health and happiness, and

http://www.simplyseafood.com/magazine/images/caviar.jpg

something for your adorable dog to munch on, too ;D!

0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:34 pm
Many years ago, when my grandfather turned 86 we had a very large family gathering and party for him. The cake was large but it was scattered with only a few candles (about 30) to defer the possibility that 86 candles might melt all the icing off. We all sang happy birthday and when he blew out the candles; his false teeth flew out of his mouth and imbedded themselves into the top of the cake. We all laughed, including him, however, there were a quite a few people who were reluctant to have a piece of cake. Smile
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 01:42 pm
We had the same family gathering when my late grandmother turned 90. There were like 150, 200 people, family which she hadn't seen for years. Because a lot of family members had emigrated throughout the years (to Australia, Austria, Ireland, Germany, the US etc.) we all asked the people who lived abroad and couldn't come to the gathering, to send in a photo of them and their family. Eventually we all put those pictures, and also personal stories we asked for, in one big book, and presented it to her. It was a really good memory. Because we have a really large family (Catholics you know :wink: ), it was nice to see such a large family together.

The only downside of the family gathering we only discovered afterwards. All people wished to see each other again at her 100th birthday. Sadly enough she died two years later.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 02:48 pm
BBB
It's great fun to hear all of your birthday stories. And thanks for all your good wishes. I cherish them every one.

Edgar, I'm still blushing from that kiss from my favorite poet.

And to the nosy Rick d'Israeli, yep, that me with my Bichon Fries Maddy, the good looking one who thinks he is king of the hill. Madison has small dog inferiority complex, no doubt. You were lucky to have that large family gathering while your grandmother could enjoy the memory book they created.

Colorbook, that's a funny false teeth story. Something like that happened to me too. It helps to be surrounded by people who can all laugh at such incidences with love.

BBB Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
Best Wishes for a Happy Birthday, BBB!

My favorite birthday cake is spice cake with penuche frosting* and walnuts, but devil's food with chocolate fudge frosting is just fine, too! You say angel food is your favorite cake... but is that angel food with fruit and ice cream? Angel food with frosting? Plain angel food?

http://www.bakingwarehouse.com/r_2003apr.jpg

You might be interested to know that my gramma was a very religious woman, so religious that in her cookbooks she would cross out the word "devil" in devil's food cake, but she'd circle or underline the word "angel" in angel food cake.

My sister likes to have mass birthday celebrations -- most of the family seemed to be born between March and May. She calls each niece and nephew to ask what sort of cake they would like. When the children were young these requests were often for odd combinations, like white cake with purple frosting and M&Ms. You can imagine how amusing those conversations were. I'd listen in to hear the children very carefully and seriously ordering their heart's desire. At the party there would be a table full of cakes... the first celebrations started with eleven cakes and worked up to more than twenty. What a sight to see when they were all lit with candles.

When Mr.P and I were dating in our early twenties, I was living at home and he lived in Seattle during the summer between classes. I was anxious to see him and made a cake for his birthday which I hand-carried to Seattle while riding on the cross-sound ferry. Oh, how silly I felt when I realized that his birthday was in July, not June! He didn't mind; he was still very glad to see me and eat that cake. When I went home, I was embarassed to admit to my mother that I'd made such a silly mistake... but I did and brought him another cake the next month.

*Penuche Frosting from my Gramma's Recipes
Melt equal amounts of brown sugar and butter
Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes
Remove from heat
Add tiny pinch of salt and a spoonful of vanilla
Alternate adding powdered sugar and cream to reach desired consistency
Spread on cake while still warm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 06:21 pm
Birthday cakes
Piffka, what a wonderful birthday story. Don't we all remember special birthdays because they are our days? I think you would like my burnt sugar cake with caramel frosting recipe. One of my favorite cakes.
http://search.able2know.com/About/12994.html

Doglover, I also wish we could meet, but you know the way to Albuquerque - Route 66.

EhBeth, I love the serene photo. I do miss the Pacific ocean I left to come to the high desert.

Noddy and Raggedyaggie, thank you for your good wishes.

dròm_et_rêve, Roger and Montana, common, tell us some of your birthday stories.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help BBB celebrate her 75th Birthday 7/13
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.55 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 04:35:02